Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale Aux fan problem / wiring issue??

I have a 93 Loyale 4wd Wagon. My Aux cooling fan works great when key is on, but the ignition has to be on for it to work. Its a pain, when I drive anywhere.... I have leave it on till it shuts off. What kind of wiring issue do, I have? The previous owner had been lazy and just looped the wiring at the sensor to have the fan on all the time. I have since fixed that part .

Edited by superpoo93

It sounds normal to me, you want the fan to turn off when the cars off, it can't fry anythin because there is no more heat being produced. What your saying is that the fan runs when to temp gets to a certain point then shuts off once its cooled down? I don't think you have to wait for the fan to stop to shut the car off. Mine is wired to always run with the key and it keeps everything nice and cool.

Edited by Vegablade

Should it not continue to run when key is off, to cool water down? All cars I have had in past and presently, run after car is off..if water temp is high enough. My car hardly gets past mid range, it just make nervous to just turn it off and walk away. Vegablade, you have yours running all the time?? See, mine was originaly wired that way by the past owner, but during the winter it was hardly getting operating temp.

Edited by superpoo93

Dont some of the Loyales have 2 fans? 1 that is engine driven (runs all the time) and the extra that kicks on with temperature?

I have one that kicks on with temperature in my 1986 GL Sedan and it kicks on when the engine reaches running temp, and will stay on if I turn the engine off but keep the key in the on position (where all the lights stay on in the dash)

Yours sounds pretty normal. I wouldnt re-wire it because as pointed out - it would be a hazard while working under the hood.

but should it not continue to run when key is off, to cool water down? All cars I have had in past and presently, run after car is off..

The water/coolant will cool itself with time. Although if you want to. Leave the key in the on position til the fan shuts off after driving (shouldnt be more than a couple minutes)

Yep, that's what i do, leave the key in position.. where lights are on till fan stops. and yes Loyale have main drive fan and Aux fan.Ok, my question has been answered. Just wanted to make sure, I dont burn her up. Thanks all for the help.

Edited by superpoo93

Vegablade, you have yours running all the time?? See, mine was originaly wired that way by the past owner, but during the winter it was hardly getting operating temp.

I had mine that way all winter and it always came up to operating temperature even when in the 20's while driving down the snowy highway. Do you have a thermostat in it at all? If so what temp? I do not have a clutch fan, only the auxiliary one, that's why its wired that way.

I wired my electric fan to a switch inside the cabin. The wiring goes battery-->fan-->switch-->battery/ground. I just crimped a donut wire connector thing onto the wire and slid that over the tightening screw on the battery terminal so it stays permanently.

You could probably wire it to a timer pretty easily, too. But like the others said, once the car is off it isn't producing any more heat, and the water pump isn't running so whatever water movement is happening is due to the heat gradient and not the water pump.