Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

High clearance EA Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

I remember back in the day AA did a "high clearance" lift kit for the EAs. I don't recall the specifics, does anyone?

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,012 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

IMO, that's the way to do it. Loved that setup on my blue '88.

Only difference between it and the BYB kit of the day, was the rear crossmember was left up against the body. The rear suspension arms are run at an angle. AA lowered the diff by putting 1" blocks under the mustache bar. I had issues with rear axles then until I added a 2" diff drop block from SJR to drop the front of the diff as well.

This is how my Brat is lifted as well, crossmember in stock position, torsion bars reclocked.

#3 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Ok...... so what makes it "high clearance"? The fact that the rear diff was kept higher than the rest of the lift (3 inch front body, 1 inch rear diff assembly)? I was thinking it was maybe like 3 inch body and 4 inch strut like some kits?
'Chux, on your BRAT you have X inches body and torsions adjusted as your lift? So we don't have to go to another post, do you mind posting side and front and rear shots of it for us? I'm looking for as much clearance as I can when I lift my EA81s and think I'm going to go 4 inch blocks and RX strut assemblies in the front, not sure on the rear, probably just use the torsion adjust only and have a level BRAT.

#4 SubaruLT

SubaruLT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Lithuania, Palanga

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Something like that? There is no body lift. Only suspension.
Posted Image

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,012 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

The High Clearance kit that AA did was for an EA82 only. EA81s require torsion bar reclock to do the same thing (possible, but was not an AA kit

The diff is still dropped some, but the suspension crossmember is not.

The goal is to avoid this (BYB/Ozified 3" lift on an EA82):
Posted Image

Posted Image

My brat thread is here. Most of the info on the lift is in the first post. It doesn't live at my house, so I can't easily get more pictures.
http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=123367

#6 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

I never really liked my torsion bar re-clock... way too stiff, and it eventually snapped...

#7 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. I really am looking at just leveling my Gen 2 BRAT w/o cranking the torsion bars down too much or putting 1 inch blocks under the front subframe assembly including struts. I guess now it's time to figure out a suspension only lift. Only looking for an inch max. What mods are necessary for the EA82 front struts w/ EA81 caps as I wonder if one can do King Springs instead of the RX and not over stress the CVs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users