Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have experience with GCK axles? Or Autozone's lifetime warrantee?

I've been doing my homework on axles, and I've found that Autozone carries a line of new (as in BRAND NEW - not remaned) axles made by these guys:

http://www.gck.com/

For $90 (no core charge since it's not a reman) you get a whole new axle. Apparently with a lifetime warrantee (limited - not applicable for off-roading..... but I'm not telling if you don't...)

Now - I would like to hear any stories about this brand, or about Autozone's warrantee - do they honor it if they get back an axle that's muddy, and in 26 peices? etc, etc

All the other companies I have looked at that rebuild axles are very careful to say in their "product descriptions" that they replace worn parts "if neccesary" and I don't particularly like that. While this approach may be fine for some parts, or for other brands of cars, my experience has been that skimping on even the slightest detail with axles will result in bad juju sooner rather than later for the most part....

Some searching around found these guys:

http://www.raxles.com/home.aspx

Who do reman axles, but they claim they use ONLY new outer joints. This certainly seems appealing, but with prices starting at $69, and shipping from florida, I can't see how I'm going to come in at less than a $90 *new* axle from Autozone.....

Anyone got thoughts on this place?

GD

I have Autozone LL warranty axles in the Brat. I've tossed 3 since I got the two new ones, and they've honor'd them with no problems. Then again, I used to work at the two zones down here, and know all the managers real well and whot not. But one of the axles I took in didn't even have the outer "cup" one it, as it was still holding the wheel on, and they still didn't have a problem with it. But only breaking 3 axles in two years, with whot the axles in the Brat go through isn't that bad if you look at it, plus heck, they're liftime warranty. Of course I think mine are reman'd, and not the "new" ones, so I can't say much about those.

Right there on the page you linked it says:

High-tech grinding machines maintain the original design of the outer housing, race and cage

That indicates they don't use new parts.... which seems silly to me on a soob, where even new axles don't last that long. Maybe this works on other brands, but doesn't NEW axle parts sound better to you?

GD

GD:

I'm running one of those exact ones in my 93. I don't normally buy parts like that from Autozone, but I was in a serious pinch. It seems well-made, and has held up for about 1/2 year.

I have found that AZ has always honered their warranties, and that's a good thing because of some of the crap they sell there. Of course, they don't compensate you for the time, labor and aggrievation of being without your wheels. Since this is true with all warranties, I feel it is best to start off with the highest quality component you can get your hands on to begin with.

Personally, I would look to a reputable re-manufacturer for the axle if you can wait that long for shipping. I seem to recall a post about a place in FLA that had good ones for a decent price.

good luck, John

I run autozone rebuilds up front, they are solid,

EXCEPT: 2 of the 4 axles never came with any grease in the outer cv boots, I've heard this happens from others as well. Most autozones will honor the warranty if the axle is still together,

Junkyard axles in my car currently: 4, two inboard, two outboard

It's a bit off-topic, but relevant enough:

I have life-time remans from O'Reiley, I replaced them twice (because of my mechanical illiteracy,not because they went bad I suspect) -- both times nobody cared what the returned CVs were like; if they're in the original box -- O'Reiley is happy.

I personally, would never buy CVs on-line, ever (as long as I have a choice of course). Replacing a CV in gen.1 is a piece of cake (if you've done it at least once before), and I prefer to have a physical place to return them to, than some URL on the web!