Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap, ingnition relay ecu wire??? need help!

Prwa101

okay ive stripped down the harness a lot and now im to the point where im fallowing the diagram in the ej wright up, with the ECU fuel pump relay, ignition relay, and such.

quistuon is on ECU pin B12 theres the ignition relay wire, its not conected to anything... because i cut it to wire up as the diagrams says. dosnt even show it on the diagram! where does this wire go hooked up to? the fuel pump wire like it was?

ignition switch? am i tapping thouse two wires that go to it, into the EA's ignition switch?

Where in Oregon are you? If you want to bring the harness by i can look at it.

like many others have done (myself included) you cut the wire that goes from the fuse box out to some of the engine connectors (coil, transistor, solenoids) , you prolly also cut out the diode?

As for fuel pump. You'll use the EJ relay, only wire from it you should need to mess with is the Black/red wire. It will connect to the EA fuel pump wire. I can tell you where and what color wire if you tell me what the EA chassis model is (year, EA81 or 82?Carbed or FI?)

Where in Oregon are you? If you want to bring the harness by i can look at it.

that would be awsome! but i live in Sandy, west of Mount Hood.. although i do make trips down to Monmouth every once in a while to see my girl. so this is a possibility. but idk when id be heading down next..

like many others have done (myself included) you cut the wire that goes from the fuse box out to some of the engine connectors (coil, transistor, solenoids) , you prolly also cut out the diode?

now this is very possible.... and the "diode" i could never find that, nor what it looks like in google images... do you have a picture or even a good description of it?

ill try looking at these tomarrow, to see if this is what i did do wrong...

As for fuel pump. You'll use the EJ relay, only wire from it you should need to mess with is the Black/red wire. It will connect to the EA fuel pump wire. I can tell you where and what color wire if you tell me what the EA chassis model is (year, EA81 or 82?Carbed or FI?)

its a ea82 FI. i should beable to find that one pretty easy ive been in there once befor looking for it, but thatd be awesome if you already know :)

thanks!

-prwa

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_uOFuamLKHHk/TIDjuoCbTPI/AAAAAAAABhU/EplgfFKSGv4/s800/EJ%20Swap%20Diagram%20Updated.png

so is this image thats in the EJ wright up wrong? because if it is i just messed my harness....

i have it set up the same, on ignition relay, pin 5,6 i wired togeather, pin 4,3 i have wired togeather that lead to the fuel pump...

is this image right? :-\

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/dcp00010001.jpg/

this is the double diode pack i still have on the harness! one side is for fan stuff and the other is, alternator and ignition switch lt green and yellow! haha.. i thought i was going crazy...

this is the one im suppose to still have right?

and now the one ignition relay wire still loose on the ECU pin B12 yellow just needs to be wired to a wire thats on in the "on position"?

this is the wire i cut when fallowing the diagram on the wright up...

thanks!

i have it set up the same, on ignition relay, pin 5,6 i wired togeather, pin 4,3 i have wired togeather that lead to the fuel pump...

is this image right? :-\

Looks correct.

You shouldn't have needed to cut or modify any of the wiring betweeen the 2 relays.

That's the problem with the "if it doesn't go to the ECU, cut it out approach" Because a couple of the main 12v wires out to the engine connectors don't

go through the ECU.

I think a better overall rule of thumb for trimmin down the harness is that if it's connected to an engine connector, or to the ECU leave it.

Definately don't cut any wiring between the IG. and Fuel relays.

Study the charts one at a time, and correct the mistake.

Looks correct.

You shouldn't have needed to cut or modify any of the wiring betweeen the 2 relays.

That's the problem with the "if it doesn't go to the ECU, cut it out approach" Because a couple of the main 12v wires out to the engine connectors don't

go through the ECU.

I think a better overall rule of thumb for trimmin down the harness is that if it's connected to an engine connector, or to the ECU leave it.

Definately don't cut any wiring between the IG. and Fuel relays.

Study the charts one at a time, and correct the mistake.

befor i did anything to them on my wiring on the ign 5,6 wire they go down and conect to make one, and then theirs another branch off that that leads to the FP big yellow, shows in the trouble shooting DG too...

the Wiring diagram in the book and the ej write up diagrams are different... which do i go off of now?

in the book it says FP pin 2, shows it goes to 5,6 IG relay... the write up say IG 5,6 go to main power ECu plug A15 then to battery....

this is my wires and what i did to fallow the diagram in the write up..

Looks like it should work.

The thing I am pointing out is that you shouldn't have needed to mess with any of that. The relays are connected the way they need to be in stock form. You chopped them unessecarily.

You need the large yellow wire to get power from Batt. 12v and the small yellow, turning to Light green wire goes to Ig. 12v.

It's common for those wires to get cut though. The small one goes all around and back to the EJ alt. connector, and the Large one runs up to the fuse box and back and all around no where near the ECU. Making the harness managable is hard to do without cutting that wire and then spicing it.

But surely you've learned quite a bit, you could do another one alot better now.

Looks like it should work.

The thing I am pointing out is that you shouldn't have needed to mess with any of that. The relays are connected the way they need to be in stock form. You chopped them unessecarily. .

yeah i relized that after i had already done it... so its all good at least i didnt mess it up completely, just a little extra time wasted.

You need the large yellow wire to get power from Batt. 12v and the small yellow, turning to Light green wire goes to Ig. 12v.

It's common for those wires to get cut though. The small one goes all around and back to the EJ alt. connector, and the Large one runs up to the fuse box and back and all around no where near the ECU. Making the harness managable is hard to do without cutting that wire and then spicing it.

got thouse done too, got a inline fuse for the one that connects to the batt:banana:

But surely you've learned quite a bit, you could do another one alot better now.

i agree with you on that one haha! once you get your head around it a couple times, it starts going easier and easier.:banana: but id be a fool if i didn't give any credit to, YOU and some other people :) thanks a million!

due to school starting back up at PSU... itll be a while till i get the ej22 in my wagon, unless the motor goes (which is possible) haha. but the ea82's are little beasts! haha time to make my add plate and collect other random stuff :banana:

Do you have a Single range trans or a Dual?

If it's a single range, you can stuff all the guts into a EJ AWD trans case. Then use an EJ flywheel and clutch, w/ no adapter plate. Good way to go for a DD.

How do you tell the diffrence? Mine is just the 4wd button on the stick.

The ej tranny is an auto, so can that still be done? Prolly not huh. And I'd have to buy another flywheel anyways. So yeah, I like the tranny that in it already, there cheap in jyard. Prolly end up getting a locker for the rearend too. :)