Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed swap in an EA81, need some help with the linkages

nickolai

So I finally got around to working on my 5 speed swap today. I'm putting a D/R from an 86 GL sedan in my 82 GL wagon. I have Jerry's kit, and it worked well. However, the two pieces of linkage that Jerry told me not to send him don't seem to be lining up very well. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

RsECb.jpg

The piece of linkage circled should be more about where the second circle is. This is the what holds the bottom of the shifter in place and it should be more toward the center of the hole in the floor. Also the piece connecting the shifter to the trans seems a little long. Has anyone else run into these problems? What did you do about it? I'm thinking of bending the linkage to get it to center. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Nick

Having the shifter further toward the back is not neccesarily a bad thing... are you sure the engine and tranny are in their final locations?

From memory of having used a couple of Jerry's kits (cross-member only - I do my own linkage) - I never had to modify the shifter support rail - only lengthen the D/R lever by 1"......

GD

Having the shifter further toward the back is not neccesarily a bad thing... are you sure the engine and tranny are in their final locations?

This is a little too far back though, plus its not even close to lining up with the bottom of the shifter, or the shifter boot. The engine is not in the car, but the tranny is bolted in at the cross member and looks to be sitting in the right spot on the engine cross member. Also the 4wd linkage is installed and works like charm.

From memory of having used a couple of Jerry's kits (cross-member only - I do my own linkage) - I never had to modify the shifter support rail - only lengthen the D/R lever by 1"......

GD

Hmm, maybe I put something on wrong but I can't think of how I could have managed it. I'll look at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Nick

Well after looking at it for along time the other day, I decided the only thing to do was bend the shifter support to where I wanted it. It worked pretty well, and now it lines up with the bottom the shifter and the bolt on the underside of the car.

So I'm wondering if maybe it somehow got bent in the year or so that it was laying around. Have all of yours lined up with the bolt under the car?