Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 BRAT build up thread

newsoobdude

I've had this BRAT for 6 years and only driven it 75 feet total in that time. The previous owner got it from a used car lot and it had a seized motor but less than 150k on the clock. That was the early 90s. He towed it to his place and proceeded to let it rest and keep company with a bunch of other Soobs. I got it in 2005 in trade for some parts. Bought a few parts wagons to add more parts to the collection and get a good motor and trans as the tow company for the dealership lunched the trans. Transplanted the motor and trans in 2007 then had life take over. Flash forward September 10 2011, I travel up to friends house where she has been sitting since before I bought her and tow her down to LA. I had lost the keys and the steering column was locked and someone was nice enough to cut off my CA Y-pipe, take my OEM tool bag and tools, jack and cut the new radiator hose I had put on :mad:. Got the keys hose replaced, only to find the key doesn't turn far enough but did unlock it so that was good. Finally got her to fire up for the first time in like 5 years or so. She doesn't like to idle at first but after a while is good to go and the drivers side wheel bearing is toast too. Other wise she is good to drive.

Pics 2007-

Brat032.jpg

Brat025.jpg

Brat027.jpg

Brat024.jpg

BRAT001.jpg

BRAT004.jpg

BRAT005.jpg

BRAT006.jpg

BRAT010.jpg

BRAT009.jpg

Not bad for sitting forever.

Plans include 4 inch lift, 27 inch tires, D/r 5spd, rear discs, Lincoln locked, and a built EA81 before going EJ

Edited by newsoobdude

Went to redo the the wheel bearings on the drivers side today and after driving out the old bearings in 3 pieces discovered the outer race was trashed :mad:. Called one junkyard that's really nice and they didn't have any. Called the one down the street and was quoted no more than $200 and no less than $100 and we need the old one to match to the new one and no you cannot see the cars the parts come off of. Yeah, right. Have a nice day. Go with friend to the local PnP to hopefully get lucky. Found an 81 wagon and an 83 wagon as well. Grab interior bits for my BRAT and the complete intake, carb and air cleaner assembly. Go to pull the steering knuckle out to have it fight the whole way and have the strut stuck in. Grab some other parts off the 81 (3rd eye assembly and gas door) and call it a day. Total was $300 :eek::eek::eek:?!?!

Intake and carb assembly was $120 :eek:. No. Console and lower dash panel $40 each. No. 3rd Eye, $60. WTH!?!? No, forget it. Steering knuckle, $30. Deal. Door handle surrounds $7 each. Fine. Speaker grill, $7. Fine. 4wd Lever assembly for $15. Done. Now I need to redo the ball joint on the new knuckle and redo the bearings as I still have the unused new ones, reassemble and good to go. Hopefully have done with new brakes all around as well by Friday.

Yeah, I checked my receipt and I got a core charge for the knuckle. WTF!?! Was told all the yards in the neighborhood sold out and combined into one. Was wondering what ever happened to Memory Lane........

Got a new ball joint installed and redid the wheel bearings today since I was unable to go to the other yard. Hopefully my packages from Rockauto show up tomorrow so I can do my brakes and go for a quick spin, otherwise I'll just button it back up and go anyways :burnout:.

Still has a hesitation when cold and given slight throttle but might be the fact it's sat for a few years. Will just keep running it with the fresh 91 and maybe throw in a can or 2 or some injector cleaner or something. Sure is loud with 24 inch long straight pipes/ headers :grin:.

Took her for a quick, loud spin down the street and back for the first time EVER today after 6 years of ownership :banana::banana::banana:. Back end floats a bit and is real soft riding even with the end up so I think my struts are shot, but I'm replacing them anyways in a little while with new Rancho's when I lift her. Have a squeak coming from the right side front I think, not sure if I heard something or not above the open headers. Will find out tomorrow. Got to wait til Nov. to get my Y pipe from my house up north and pick up the rear discs. Might also pick up a spare diff for the rear so I can get one welded up for later. Once I do that it's SMOG and lift and good to go for the moment while I build up a torquer cammed EA81 with EA82 intake and Weber with a 5spd D/r swap too. All I need is the Weber and tires.........

Took it for another spin down the street and back to try and clear out the lines and what not. Brought her home and let her sit for a while. Got dark out and decided to move her into the garage for the coming rain as I don't have the back window in and the seals are iffy. Started up and ran fine. Turned the lights on and all was good. Blipped the throttle a little and watched the batt. gauge (alt/ volt) die. Lights stayed on as well as the car so I turned the lights off. Put BRAT in garage and will deal with later :(. Might be time for an alt upgrade and I think I'm gonna go GM as I don't have access to a lot of Subies down here. Brakes are squishy so I ordered caliper rebuild kits for the rear discs I'm picking up as I goofed on my original order and received 2 sets of front pads instead of 1 and rear shoes :mad:. Can't even find the gallon of brake fluid I bought when I lifted the Outback to bleed them so oh well :-\.

I want an 86 Brat SOO bad.. this is awesome!

Thanks!!! I've wanted one for years and just my luck my ex gfs dad has a whole Subie collection with this and a couple other Gen 2s and Gen 1s. Traded parts for this one and have been collecting more parts/ cars for this over the years. Just hit 4 figures the other day when I ordered the brakes and hope to stay under 3G in total when completed.

Your wagon is knarley and can't wait to see it done.

lol it will be a bit till its done.. but i had this dude that lived down the road he had a primo 86 brat i wanted soooo bad so i asked about it.. he said it sold and that mother f***** sat there and rotted.. sucks

if i ever get the chance to buy one ill prolly lower it on STi gear.. i love the red brumby on youtube.. i know its a stroked out wrx but same idea

Edited by True2Blue

if i ever get the chance to buy one ill prolly lower it on STi gear.. i love the red brumby on youtube.. i know its a stroked out wrx but same idea

I'd love to do a WRX/ STi swap but wouldn't have as much fun with it at my place up north; roads are too torn up for a canyon carver. Guess I'll have to enjoy the rocks,mud, and ruts instead at a slower pace and get to more places :headbang::burnout:

Might need to pick up another one........

Canyon carving is fun and a WRX swap would be nice but my lead foot would get me in too much trouble so I'll just go high and slow.

Found some picks of it loaded up at my place up north but have not been able to check on the alternator yet. Waiting for a friend to come by with the volt meter. Will be ordering up some 4 inch strut blocks with 1 inch extensions in the next week or so so I can get started on the lift for her :headbang:. Will keep ya'll posted.

Photo116.jpgPhoto117.jpg

You can just barely make out my Gen 1 BRAT on the right hand side of the pics.

So I checked the alternator today and it's putting out 14.43 at idle so alternator is good and battery is good too. Now I have to check the wiring and see what happened there. I was planning on putting in a cheapo under dash 3 gauge cluster anyways but would like to know what happened anyways. Still taking water in the cooling system and I think I found a leak in one of the heater hoses. Want to get the Y pipe for it before I tick my neighbors off too much driving it up and down the street or do any engine damage.

Battery gauge came back today while I was running her. Noticed her running a little hot after a while and that the fan wasn't working. Time to wire it to a switch like I was planning. Still waiting to get my Y pipe from up north and then redo the rest of the exhaust and then SMOG. Noticed a leak from the bottom of my radiator though so looks like I'll have to get that addressed sometime in the future as well.

shut up kody. 85 and 87 brats are way better.

lol.....

86 is the worst brat ever made!!!

<sorry newsoobdude, just messing with my buddy, i am NOT anti 86-brat.>

No worries man. I'd agree with you, 87 is the last available in the US and hence collectable, with 85 being the last available with jump seats. Granted 86 is the 1st registered as a pick up but nothing special otherwise.