Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

uneven tire balding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • PNW

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

My 97 obw is pulling to the left, and has uneven bald spots on the outside of the left front tire. Before noticing the bald spots I had suspected the wheel bearing, but upon inspection that SEEMs fine.

Any input is appreciated.

Edited by sario, 23 September 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#2 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • PNW

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Also, the struts also appear to be ok. They are about two years old, but i do have king springs installed.

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,188 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

at the very least you need an alignment. maybe some parts are worn out. take it to a reputable front end shop and have it aligned.

did you have the alignment done after the springs were replaced?

#4 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • PNW

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

at the very least you need an alignment. maybe some parts are worn out. take it to a reputable front end shop and have it aligned.

did you have the alignment done after the springs were replaced?

Yeah, i had an alignment done February of 2010, right after doing the springs and struts.

I would like to know what the problem is before i get an alignment and new tires. I'd hate to ruin those too.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

if it's pulling to the left then like he said and alignment sounds in order.

the scalloping, uneven balding, if that's what you have - is often caused by struts. i have scalloping on my rear tire of my OBW and wasn't sure for a long time what was causing it. struts *appear* fine, but i have ordered new rear struts for it based on reading/talking to people.

i would suspect the struts....they don't need to be leaking or fail a bounce test to be old and warn out. i ran across some other folks that had bad struts with none of those "typical" signs. upon removal they say they won't have much spring or extension to them.

#6 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • PNW

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

if it's pulling to the left then like he said and alignment sounds in order.

the scalloping, uneven balding, if that's what you have - is often caused by struts. i have scalloping on my rear tire of my OBW and wasn't sure for a long time what was causing it. struts *appear* fine, but i have ordered new rear struts for it based on reading/talking to people.

i would suspect the struts....they don't need to be leaking or fail a bounce test to be old and warn out. i ran across some other folks that had bad struts with none of those "typical" signs. upon removal they say they won't have much spring or extension to them.

we'll I guess I'll take to a shop and have checked out. I'll post back with the verdict.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

we'll I guess I'll take to a shop and have checked out. I'll post back with the verdict.

awesome, report back what happens. it confused me for awhile as i didn't have bounce/return, noise, or leakage of the struts which i thought were indicators of a weak strut. but others were having it too so i'm assuming that's what is up with mine. at 180,000 miles and rough roads, they're due at least

some people are posting, and i'm not going to be surprised if this happens to me - that the car gains a little "lift" with new struts on it - mine *seems* lower.

mine doesn't feel as solid around turns/cornering as my other subaru's (i've got a few), so i'm wondering if struts will help that too. but it might just be the H6 wagon and twisty steep mountain roads i drive, they're not normal.

i got KYB GR2's off thepartsbin or advanced auto for like $52 online.

#8 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • PNW

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

The alignment checked ok, and they said the front suspension is in great shape. I'm told the tires are separating, causing them to go out of round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users