Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru To Porsche engine swap

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PRND3L

PRND3L

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • McDonough

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

Has anybody swapped a subaru engine with a porsche engine? ifso is there a write up of how to do it? If you know anything about this let me know, im kind of curious.

Thanks

#2 xbeerd

xbeerd

dookin'

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

i think you'll be more likely to see a subaru engine in a porsche, than a porsche engine in a subaru.

like the porubi. http://porubi.com/

i would say its definately feasible, well anything is possible with the right money. but i think acquiring a porsche engine and wiring would be quite spendy! unless its an older motor, which case i think the EJ would be probably better?

thoughts?

#3 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • montana

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

porche- expensive, garbage, hard to work on-
subaru, cheap, well designed, and easy to work on

you will see subaru engines in vws and porches, but never the other way around

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Porsche engines are not something Porsche owners are proud of. They have fabulous suspension systems and handling - they suck at building engines that are reliable long-term. Porsche owners think nothing of rebuiling an engine after 100k miles.

For example - the Boxster has a TERRIBLE engine. Underpowered, EXPENSIVE (about $10k to build a performance version), and super unreliable. You can pickup Boxster's with blown engines for around the $4k to $6k range. There's a project over on NASIOC to build a kit for installing the EJ255 and EJ257. They already have a proto-type car built. It's considerably faster than the stock power plant and half or less than the cost of a replacement performance Boxster engine.

GD

#5 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Boxter/Subaru 2.5.

Add that to my "project wishlist"

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

There are lots of people who have done Subaru to VW swaps all the time so it is doable, again with enough money

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

Has anybody swapped a subaru engine with a porsche engine? ifso is there a write up of how to do it? If you know anything about this let me know, im kind of curious.

Thanks

talked to a guy years ago about his ER27 (6 cylinder XT6) into a 914 swap, some issues he had, etc. he sold it awhile ago:
http://www.etischer.com/914xt6.html
http://www.etischer.com/914xt.html

Edited by grossgary, 26 September 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#8 DBCooper

DBCooper

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Modesto, CA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

It's not uncommon, actually. My car is a 1972 Porsche 914 with a WRX motor and transmission. this is the original installation, with the 914 transmission:

Posted Image

Later with a front mounted water-air intercooler and a WRX transmission that was converted to two-wheel drive:

Posted Image

And later, the finished car at an autocross:

Posted Image

The build thread: http://www.914world....ransmission wrx

Nice motor. Mid-engined flat four air-cooled boxer originally had 90 hp stock, now it has lots more.

#9 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

It's not uncommon, actually. My car is a 1972 Porsche 914 with a WRX motor and transmission.

The OP was asking if anyone had put a porsche motor in a subaru, not a subaru motor in a porsche. That's why people were saying it's more common to see subaru engines replacing porsche ones just like in your swap.

#10 DBCooper

DBCooper

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Modesto, CA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

He actually said "has anyone swapped a subaru engine with a porsche engine", which could be read either way. In any case sorry, please forgive me and ignore what I posted.

Bye.

#11 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

He actually said "has anyone swapped a subaru engine with a porsche engine", which could be read either way. In any case sorry, please forgive me and ignore what I posted.

Bye.

i think your car rocks. dont leave because of this crap. nobody needs to call the internet police. we can all play, right? this is the bestforum in the world, hang out for awhile. also, welcome aboard.

#12 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • N. California

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yeah your car is awesome DBCooper, please stick around. Did you do the work yourself? I hope to someday make nice TIG welds like yours. We need more people like you here.

There are some pretty harsh members here compared to some of the other forums I visit, I'm not sure why. I try to ignore them. There are some pretty cool guys too. It's not as bad here as say NASIOC, that's for sure. :Flame:

Cheers.

#13 branbikenut1

branbikenut1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • St. Louis, MI

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

I agree with these guys. I'm a noob here as well and have already gotten some harsh feedback but the nicer people overrule the others. Thanks to the cool people this is by far the best forum ive been on. Sweet rig by the way, I've seen a few similar here in Michigan.

#14 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

I like the idea of a volksy trans in a subaru rear engine would be neat we are putting a 2.5 twinn cam in a 73 super bettle will be neat car subaruper bettle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users