Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

does ea82 carbed have two fuel filters?(now fuel pump question)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:49 AM

Well, yeah, what the topic says. I changed the filter back by the tank a few thousand miles ago, and I'm wondering if there is another one somewhere, like there apparently is on ea81 soobs. I may also have a bad fuel pump though, because it seems like she's starving for fuel when a lot is required. It also looks like the float bowl isn't filling up properly. I haven't yet verfified the float travel on the Weber, but it should be good since I just bought that carb new a few months ago.

#2 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:01 AM

I've only found the filter near the pump on my '86. Haven't seen anything in the FSM about a second filter for the carb'd models either. Good luck.

#3 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:27 AM

ya just one their not like the EA81 which have two:cool:

#4 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:54 AM

kelly - there is only one fuel filter on our cars. Fuel injected have 2. Carbs have one (next to the fuel pump)

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:07 PM

Thanks. I will now proceed checking the fuel pump output. Since I don't have a pressure gauge or anything, how much fuel should be coming out of the line if I just let it run?

#6 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:06 PM

Snowie:

The only other possible place for a filter is inside the gas tank. Not likely to be the problem though.

The fuel pump could be going out, and giving weak or intermittant output. A pressure guage is best, but you could visually inspect by shooting the fuel into a pop bottle. Have a friend crank the engine and watch for a strong steady stream. It's usually very obvious if the fuel aint making it that far. And with the filter replaced, you can be pretty confident that the issue is at the pump.

Dont forget electrical testing if you suspect the pump.

good luck, John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users