Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting a 2.2 to a Turbo?

Hi.. Any of you guys know what components I would need to add a Turbo, or Supper Charger to my current 1994 Subaru 2.2.. By the way the engine is currently installed and running in a VW Beetle. Just curious what parts I need or if anyone has done this or if anyone has the items i need for sale.

Thanks Jon

Well, you would probably want lower compression pistons, probably some good turbo cams, but if you really didn't want to touch your internals, you would need all of these:

Turbo ECU from a turbo car (WRX) *or* an aftermarket ECU because you're current NA ECU will have a fuel cut off, and when you get boost, you will need more gas than the pump will give. (lean out)

Possibly some higher flowing injectors, I don't know if EJ22 N/A and EJ22T cars use the same injectors or not.

turbo, intercooler, an oil cooler is a GOOD idea too.

What you would spend on the parts and everything to convert, you might as well buy an EJ20TT JDM engine off EBAY. A 2.0L DOHC jap engine with two turbos... I've seen them go as much as $1500 and as low as $900.

you might want to swap in a Legacy turbo EJ22G (AKA EJ22T) from a 91-94 Legacy. ALthough most think their the same as the N/A models infact they are completely different: The EJ22G has a fully closed deck shortblock, its casted using a much different and higher density aluminium from N/A EJ22's. Crank bearings are shot peened, all internals are forged, except pistons which are pressure cast (stength lies in between cast and forged pistons). There are oil injectors to cool bottoms of the pistons. 8:1 compression ratio. The heads have differnt oil journals and fittings to send oil to cool the turbo. The EJ22G was built stronger than any current day wrx.

Mark,