Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas for the faulty EA82 clock

Is the only difference of the trip comp clock, the color? Orange vs. Green? I must say, I do like the orange...

Mine is Amber (like the Rest of the Dashboard)... not Orange but you could think is Orange due to the Age & Dust there :).

The Trip computer's clock has a Different Display... not only the Colour.

See:

IMG_3032.jpg

... the four wires going to the board are 100% intact.

What can cause it not to work?

Burnt Fuse / False Contact \ Loose wire at the Other end?

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Add info & Picture

I always had wondered if something would fit there, maybe a small clock with an outside/inside temp would be sweet:lol: cause i pulled mine out too see why the clock didnt work, and found no circuit board no wires, nothing the p/o had gutted it.:rolleyes:

The clock comes out and has a plug at the end that goes into the stock harness. i'm sure someone just unplugged the clock and the harness fell.

here's what to use in place of the clock, a mini reader board, I even got some good background noise with this one, well, other then the heavy breathing part .....I'm an ex smoker, so forgive the shortness of breath.

the boxer sound is awesome though :grin:

and you can program the reader board to say anything you want

That would be cool to display time and temp. BOXER SOUND YAAAY:lol::lol:

I once heard someone say its the sound of Inefficiency:rolleyes:

that Boxer sound was general Disorder driving off, I didn't realize the camera would pick up the sound from his car, it sounded cool though.

I'm gonna play with the reader board today and see if I can get a good slogan in it like "Subaru Think Feel Drive"

• 1 year later...

So... I had a 'dead' clock (actually trip computer) in my '85 EA82.   Turns out that the solder joints were all good.  The problem was the two microbulbs that are used for backlighting were shot.   I checked the Subaru dealer, $12.99 each, but not available.

I had to meet a minimum order quantity.... so I've got plenty of these bulbs if anyone needs them.

You will have to remove the old bulb from the original socket.  Then put the new bulb into the socket and snip the wire leads to the correct length. 

I'll be away from the computer for the next few days... but will check the thread.

So... I had a 'dead' clock (actually trip computer) in my '85 EA82.   Turns out that the solder joints were all good.  The problem was the two microbulbs that are used for backlighting were shot.   I checked the Subaru dealer, $12.99 each, but not available.

I had to meet a minimum order quantity.... so I've got plenty of these bulbs if anyone needs them.

You will have to remove the old bulb from the original socket.  Then put the new bulb into the socket and snip the wire leads to the correct length. 

I'll be away from the computer for the next few days... but will check the thread.

The regular clocks and trip computers are different beasts.  As you found out, the trip computer has bulbs that burn out.  They are commonly available (someone posted info on my clock repair thread, IIRC).