Ok, we got more results with the acetone cleaning this weekend, but not in the direction I had hoped.
Before we continue with this build any further, I'm sure as you read this you will realize, there is a problem with the engine.
The problem we're experiencing with this engine is in no way the result of any work performed by anyone, it's a problem that would have been impossible to see until the engine was in the car and running, and it's not specific to an EA82, the same thing could have happened if we had done an EJ22 swap
This is no one’s fault and in no way, shape, or form do I blame anyone for what happened, it was just a fluke. I'm not mad at anyone, I'm not even upset about it, to me it's nothing more than just another challenge.
So please, if you’re going to place blame on anyone or accuse anyone of anything, then I'd rather you kept your thoughts to yourself.
It just happened. The problem may work itself out, or it may not, in the event that it doesn't work itself out, I'm already on the lookout for another "EA82" rebuilder.
But as low cost cars go, and as most of us are always short on funds, let’s try to get this one working for as little as possible, so bare with us as we try different procedures to see if we can somehow get our compression back.
I hope you understand this posting, and why I wrote what I did, so no flame throwing!
ok, on with the build
Statistics on the car:
900 miles to date
Burning 1 quart of oil every 100 miles
last weekend, GD tested the compression and got lower readings then I did, I believe the difference in readings between his test equipment and mine is due in fact to my compression tester being really old, and spending the last 30 years banging around in my tool box, so I believe his readings to be more accurate than mine
he worked over the passenger side front cylinder on Sunday: before the acetone treatment, he got 90 lbs compression, after treatment he got 70.
now while that may sound bad, I see that as good news, because, if there wasn't any debris between the rings, then General Disorders treatment wouldn't have had any affect at all, the fact that it did have an effect, and went down, tells me there's junk in there that needs to get cleaned out. and maybe some carbon deposit got lodged between a ring and the cylinder wall. who knows? but the readings did change.
I got a compression tester identical to the one GD uses so our numbers match, I believe the numbers I gave originally a few posts back were to high, because my tester read high.
So where am I at with the car now?
After 900 miles, the compression numbers sound terrible, but it is running better, the two back cylinders are coming closer together in the readings, while the front cylinders are still all over the place.
to me the car idles fine, it has a bit of a grumble to it that to me sounds like the torque cams, GD thinks it's still got a miss, but for me, I can't really tell for sure because I have no other EA82 with torque cams to compare it to
It seems to have plenty of power on the road, it's got what I would describe as good get up and go.
But those compression numbers make me think it should be running worse than it is.
The amount of oil it's burning also tells me there's a ring problem, a leak down test verifies that as well, because you can hear the air pressure coming out the oil filler tube.
so, according to seafoam, they say to do a good cleaning from the back side of the pistons, they claim that you should put 1 ounce of seafoam for every quart of oil in the crank case, and drive the car 30 to 50 mils and change the oil.
I tried that and it seemed to have an effect, so I'm going to try it again, this time, I'm going to try 2 ounces of seafoam for every quart of oil.
I'm thinking if we go at the rings from the back as well as the front, it's bound to have some effect.
Edited by Stubies Subie, 08 November 2011 - 12:41 AM.