Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power to fuel pump

Last weekend I swapped the motor in my 1990 Loyale. The motor would not start and I traced the problem to the fuel pump. The fuel pump was working when the old motor expired this past April. It appears that the pump is not getting any power. If I connect a wire directly to the pump from the battery the pump works. I checked the fuse and it was good. I located four relays behind the steering column above the ecu and swapped them out with four from another Loyale still no power to the pump. Any suggestions? I would rather not rig the pump with a wire from the battery.

post-34059-136027650376_thumb.jpg

post-34059-136027650387_thumb.jpg

hi, the pump will only receive power for 1 to 2 seconds if you just turn on the ignition switch. if you plug together the green test connectors for checking computer codes and turn the ignition on , it will go power on and off every few seconds continually so it is easier to check for voltage , or a bad ground side. i have found several times that the ground side of the pump circuit is bad , it grounds inside the ecm , i do not know if they are fixable or not. i actually grounded the pump wire to the body near the pump and it worked fine. you may have a different problem but this might help diagnose. i'm sure you will get more info here.

Thanks, I will look into the ground but I think it is grounded properly because I only hooked up the pump to the positive side of the battery to check on the condition of the pump and it worked. As far as the pump turning on momentarily when I first turn on the ignition, I disconnected the fuel line at the throttle body, stuck it in a jar, and the jar remained dry after turning the ignition on a few times and cranking the motor.

I assume you have already checked all the fuses for a problem there. You may have a blown fusible link causing this trouble. I suggest you check them if you haven't verified them already. They are inside the small black plastic box mounted on the coolant resevoir. You can also check for power getting to the fuses when the ignition is ON. A fuse can be good but if it isn't getting power what have you got?