Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug swap and e-brake

After rereading the 5-lug conversion posts, I have a question:

If I use Impreza rotors (and the accompanying spindles and hubs) in the front, does that mean I will lose my e-brake completely (seeing as the Impreza has a rear e-brake and the L-series/XT-series have front e-brakes)!?

Any possible work around to get some sort of e-brake functionality or should I just try to get those parts from an XT6 instead (even though they are more rare that way)!?

The xt6 caliper will bolt up to the impreza hub and rotor. That way you can keep the front e-brake.

As for a rear ebrake... there has been lots of talk and speculation on different ways to do it... but no one has done it, or atleast told the rest of us about it.

Originally posted by Subarutex

The xt6 caliper will bolt up to the impreza hub and rotor. That way you can keep the front e-brake.

I wouldn't have thought that would work since the Impreza rear rotor is what has the hub-in-disc setup for the e-brake. If it works, though, great.

Also I noticed that the official "locked" thread about the 5-lug swap makes no mention of axles, though past threads did. Does the stock front axle already work with the XT6 or Impreza hub?

The reason I'm asking all these questions now, is I'm actively pursuing these parts from an XT6 that's being parted out and want to make sure I get all the necessary parts...I was originally only asking him for the parts that HAVE to be XT6 parts, but then the front e-brake issue made me 2nd guess that call. The reason I'm trying to use as many Impreza parts as possible is to make my car as friendly as possible when it comes time for replacement parts (as the XT6s are so much rarer than the Impreza/Legacy line).

Just to confirm, I *am* planning to use XT6 front calipers, I just want to make sure that using them with Impreza rotors/hub/spindles, will not kill my parking brake functionality...hehe. :)

Also, I'm trying to figure out exactly which Impreza rotors I'll need for this. I assume we are talking "base model" rotors as my 2.5RS rotors (10.7") would likely be too large, much less WRX rotors (11.4"). Does anyone know what diameter the stock XT6 rotors are?

The Impreza front axles are 4mm longer then the EA82 front axles, that must difference in taken up in play in the CV and DOJ. You can not use the stock EA82 axles, you must use the XT6 axles with the XT6 hub and the Impreza axles with the Impreza hub.

As for rear e-brakes, I have a set of rear calipers for an early Toyota Supra, they appear to be that same size as the rear clipers for the EA82. They were the only calipers that I could find that uses a backing plate to hold the calipers in place like SUbaru does. I need to re-drill the Toyota backing plates to match the Subaru bolt pattern to the housing, then bolt everything together and see if that works. Since I don't have a garage, I'm waiting for better weather to try this out. I should know by June, hopefully.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

Well, they may fit, but what about the angle of pull from the parking brake handle wire?? It needs to be at a certain angle or you won't get the leveage to pull the level on the caliper.

Ok, this was the kind of info I was looking for. So the L-series/XT-series Subarus actuate the caliper itself!? This makes more sense then and explains why it would work with the XT6 caliper/Impreza rotor combo.

The reason I wasn't aware of this, is that the Impreza doesn't actuate the caliper for the e-brake, it actuates a brake shoe that acts like a brake drum inside the rear rotors. I was assuming the front of the L-series/XT-series was similar but apparently not. :)