Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What transmission fluid do you use?

I'm changing the clutch and transmission fluid this weekend (and the transmission, but it's still a 5-speed). Not sure what fluid to use. Any recommended fluids for a Loyale? Motor Oil? ATF? Brake Fluid? I've heard a lot of things and not sure which I should go after. It does get cold here, but stiffness isn't a total dealbreaker (though it will be nice if it doesn't gum up in the mornings).

I'm prone to ATF but not dead set. I also don't want to put something bad in there and find out the hard way I shouldn't have listened to so-and-so (and yeah, you guys are 'the internet', but don't count as such in this case).

The important thing is to make sure you get a GL5 rated gear oil because that has additives for hypoid gears. ie. your front diff.

I just got whatever was cheap at napa, I think it was a 75w-90. Too thick and it'll be like string cold oatmeal when you try to shift in the winter.

Sometimes the guys behind the counter at part stores don't know everything... You'll get further if you tell them you want a manual transmission gear oil. Don't even mention the word fluid, as that pertains to autos.

Edited by 987687

In order of preference:

1. Subaru Extra-S

2. Motul 75w90

3. Redline 75w90NS

For the first few hundred miles - run straight ATF just to flush it out. Do a drain/fill with ATF every 100 miles about 3 times. Should get most of the crap out.

GD

Just a question about the ATF, that won't harm the diff any?

For the first few hundred miles - run straight ATF just to flush it out. Do a drain/fill with ATF every 100 miles about 3 times. Should get most of the crap out.

GD

I Didn't knew that you could Run a Manual Transmission & Diff with ATF!

I've tested many Gearbox / Differential Oils in the Past, in many cars and in my Own experience with those, Specially with Older Gearboxes or Diffs, The Best oil is the one Reinforced with Molybdene:

Somehow is the Same Black Grease Base that we use on C.V. Joints:

motul_gearbox_80w90_1l.jpg

(Motul 31721L Gearbox 80W-90 Molybdenum Bisulphide

-MoS2- Reinforced Extreme Pressure Gearbox and Differential Lubricant)

This Shiny Black Oil not only makes Quieter any old Gearbox, it also makes Easier Shifting.

Believe me, the Difference is Huge, I Run my Weberized Wagon's 5MT with it since around year 2000 (I usually Change it every three years), also I poured it onto many other Manual Cars with great results.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Add info

I Didn't knew that you could Run a Manual Transmission & Diff with ATF!

I've tested many Gearbox / Differential Oils in the Past, in many cars and in my Own experience with those, Specially with Older Gearboxes or Diffs, The Best oil is the one Reinforced with Molybdene:

Somehow is the Same Black Grease Base that we use on C.V. Joints:

motul_gearbox_80w90_1l.jpg

(Motul Reinforced with Mo52)

This Shiny Black Oil not only makes Quieter any old Gearbox, it also makes Easier Shifting.

Believe me, the Difference is Huge, I Run my Weberized Wagon's 5MT with it since around year 2000 (I usually Change it every three years), also I poured it onto many other Manual Cars with great results.

Kind Regards.

Thanks for the tip on that! My 5speed is getting a bit noisy, and the shifting tired. I'll give that stuff a try! Now to find it... heh.

Many local Stores sell european Oils here, mainly Motul and Lubro-Moly (Same as Liqui-Moly) even our Local Napa Parts Store has them...

I Don't know in USA, but you can obtain it from amazon, online:

http://www.amazon.com/Motul-31721L-Molybdenum-Bisulphide-Differential/dp/B004LEZPGK/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1317415115&sr=1-3

Kind Regards.

Many different opinions....for sure. Pretty hard to go wrong with straight gear lube, but there are better options.

+1 for GDs #1.....Subaru Extra-S is amazing! Expensive, and hard to get, but amazing. I think subaru only technically sells it by the drum. But I've heard of people getting together and splitting the cost. Also, it'd be worth asking your local dealer if they'd be willing to sell it by the quart. 2 of the dealers in the Twin Cities do it that way, although we've got a number of enthusiasts in the parts departments there. They have to pump it into other containers, so you might even consider bringing some clean 1-quart bottles.

If you search around, and hear about something called Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (there's a member on NASIOC who's screen name is uncle scotty), STAY AWAY. It's 2 quarts of gear oil, a quart of pennzoil synchromesh, and a quart of red line lightweight shockproof gear oil. I repeat, DO NOT USE THIS. The synchromesh and shockproof are too lightweight. Your shifting will be like butter, but your bearings will be crying soon. I used it in 2 transmissions, and began hearing bearing noise within 10k miles.

I've had very good luck replacing about 1/2 a quart of the gear oil with some Rislone engine treatment (yes, you heard me right, it's an engine treatment). My dad's '94 Legacy would not go into second gear when we got it. Fresh oil didn't do it, then some fresh oil with rislone, and he got about 100k miles on it after that. To be fair, it was transmission failure that finally killed it (well....the rust made it not worth fixing...). But it was listed as needing a transmission when we bought it.

As for straight off-the-shelf gear oils, I've run many different things, and I've become pretty partial to Castrol HypoyC 80W-90. It's pretty heavy weight if you're in a cold climate, I had to let the car idle for a couple minutes before I could get it into gear, but it took great care of the bearings and gears, which is what's important.

Someone asked if ATF would hurt the front diff - eventually it would cause accelerated wear, yes. But to do a few drain/fill's with ATF and drive it gently a couple hundred miles will not hurt it.

You do need a gear oil for the front diff. But ATF is GREAT for the rest of the transmission - in fact many cars other than Subaru call for ATF in their manual transmissions because it works so well with syncro's, etc. It also cleans like nothing else.

The Motul is just about as good as the Extra-S. But it's also expensive and hard to get here in the US. I think it's about $17 a quart.

There is at least one web site where you can order the motul and where they sell the Extra-S in quarts.

All new Subaru's are factory filled with Extra-S in their manual transmissions. Including the 6 speed's.

GD

How about something like a 50W dino oil? What else, aside from heavy gear oil, non-synthetic will work. It gets so cold here its terribly hard to even star a vehicle with that weight oil in it. Sure, you can sit there with your foot on the clutch for 15 mins........