Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Finally picked it up 1976 Subaru Coupe

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

I picked it up today, and let me tell ya, I've worked on better, but I've certainly rebuilt much much worse from the ground up!

I'm going to give the car a once over and see what I'm looking at...

Here's some pics for your enjoyment:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:40 AM

find an rx trans for it and rally the crap out of it

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

too rare and too nice/rustfree to risk rally damage. drag car or show car. I say keep all the bondo on it, just fix/finish the shaping job on it. I once stripped a car of bondo, and in the end, just had to reapply the stuff. In the end, if i would have just added more and finished the body work it would have turned out better than going thru work that someone has already started.

You will spend 8 times the labor and time to strip it off, than if you just spend some time to fix/sand, shape what is there already. If there are cracks, then grind the cracks down, but if it is still good leave it alone.

Where did you find this car? MO or IA

Edited by bheinen74, 30 September 2011 - 02:13 AM.

#4 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

find an rx trans for it and rally the crap out of it

tempting, but I doubt it'd make a good rally car, as spares would be either difficult to find or expensive :P

#5 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:30 AM

too rare and too nice/rustfree to risk rally damage. drag car or show car. I say keep all the bondo on it, just fix/finish the shaping job on it. I once stripped a car of bondo, and in the end, just had to reapply the stuff. In the end, if i would have just added more and finished the body work it would have turned out better than going thru work that someone has already started.

You will spend 8 times the labor and time to strip it off, than if you just spend some time to fix/sand, shape what is there already. If there are cracks, then grind the cracks down, but if it is still good leave it alone.

Where did you find this car? MO or IA

A good bit of the bondo is flaking off, some of it was VERY thick :P It shouldn't take too long to get the body down to steel, since most of it is very clean, but the "frenching" in of the flares and fin are heavy with bondo... I'll just leave it as normal seams.

#6 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:13 AM

I picked up some stuff for my car and stopped by to visit it.. :3 Would you believe it's now sitting under a brand new car cover :P Why have it start rusting now? :)

I really do like the way it looks, but I'm still wondering what to do and to what level I fix it... :)

More pictures for fun:

Soo angry looking and I LOVE it!
Posted Image

Very Mad Max!
Posted Image

The massive tape player, with the add-on thingy *on dash* AND factory air conditioning!!! I want to keep both! :D
Posted Image

The second owner from early in it's life to recently was a worker in the 250 and 500 mile Baja races... Vintage Sticker FTW!!!
Posted Image

I normally HATE sunroofs in anything... but the dual lids are sooo cool!
Posted Image

#7 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

That sunroof is wild.

#8 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

i understand that its rare but this thing still screams rally mobile to me

#9 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image

Looks like a dash plaque given to entrants/competitors.

oh , forgot ...FTW !! LOL

#10 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

That sunroof is wild.

I hope I can make it look good, and tidied up, it's a positive locking system, so I imagine it's not very prone to leaking.. I HATE a leaky sunroof, it makes me thing RUST! and also, getting a splash of water in the crotch is a bummer when you're on your way to work...

i understand that its rare but this thing still screams rally mobile to me

It's massively tempting really. :)

Posted Image

Looks like a dash plaque given to entrants/competitors.

oh , forgot ...FTW !! LOL

Hehe, I dont think I'll throw away the sticker... I'll definitely keep it somewhere in the interior, or maybe just glue it down tighter there :P

#11 bigjimd

bigjimd

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Petersburg, Va.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

I keep coming back and looking at this car. It's just trick. I like the yellow on it. It'd look kool with a new vinyl top and the bight yellow paint.

#12 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Looking good.
When I get around to mine I will stay Yellow. I like a slightly brigher yellow thaqn original.

#13 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Well, got a bit done to her...

Located a windshield, roof skin, hood....

Thanks Danny!

Also, got a start on my removal and repairs...

Posted Image

Not sure why there was so much body filler here... I guess some potato head felt two gallons was the right amount to apply... Note: only three small dings, they'll pop out fairly easily!

Posted Image

It'll look WAY better with a fresh roof skin and some primer :)

Posted Image

I believe it was used as a shelf at one point and filled with BONDO! There was literally an inch of bondo, about half way across the rear portion of the "frenched" sunroof!

Posted Image

Another shot of me carefully removing the spot welds... I was thinking of saving a large slab of the bondo, to show what kind of chunk was on the roof!

Posted Image

Luckily, things are cleaning up well! It seems that the metal is straight and smooth and not rusty on parts that arent the roof... :P

#14 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

I keep coming back and looking at this car. It's just trick. I like the yellow on it. It'd look kool with a new vinyl top and the bight yellow paint.

I'm debating on the vinyl roof, but I might do it up in black... I dunno yet, I love the yellow!

I might go with this style... Replacing the red with yellow:

Posted Image
It's a very 1970's appropriate paint scheme... I'd have to do something with the fender flares and duck tail bit though... *scratches chin*

Looking good.
When I get around to mine I will stay Yellow. I like a slightly brigher yellow thaqn original.

I had no idea there were so many of these around! not really a bunch, but a good few left in the world! :)

#15 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

Got a few more chunks done today:

I exposed more metal...
Posted Image

Another angle of the pass. side...
Posted Image

In the middle of taking out the ugly roof...
Posted Image

A bit tidier, I coated the freshly exposed metal with some rust proofing... I still need to trim some more off, but it's coming along nicely.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Arno

Arno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Germany

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

A lot of work. Respect.

For a little bit motivation, pics from my GFT.

regards
Arno

Attached Files

#17 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

You've got to figure out a way to duplicate that spoiler.:brow:

Posted Image

#18 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

A lot of work. Respect.

For a little bit motivation, pics from my GFT.

regards
Arno

That's a very nice looking car!

#19 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

You've got to figure out a way to duplicate that spoiler.:brow:

Think so? I do like it, but honestly not many had much interest in it... I'm good at making fiberglass parts, but have nowhere to make em...

#20 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Think so? I do like it, but honestly not many had much interest in it... I'm good at making fiberglass parts, but have nowhere to make em...

I'll take a few of them. I can't believe that the other old school guy don't have much interest. I bet you could sell at least a dozen of them here on the board then many more on ebay? Please reconsider making some copies of them.:grin:

#21 Subafreak

Subafreak

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Central Village Ct.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

The wing is pretty cool on it . But i dont think its the factory option one.

#22 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

The wing is pretty cool on it . But i dont think its the factory option one.

Yeah, its made out of bondo. He said so in the other thread before he picked up the car.

#23 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, its made out of bondo. He said so in the other thread before he picked up the car.

I don't think it is made out of bondo. There might be some bondo on it but I don't think it's made out of it. Also it may or may not be a factory option but you can tell it was made for a Subaru coupe. It fits the lines too good to just be some generic spoiler. I know I would love to have one for my coupe.

#24 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

Also he didn't say it was made out of bondo and he said that the spoiler looked OEM.

#25 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Also he didn't say it was made out of bondo and he said that the spoiler looked OEM.

This is correct! now, they DID try frenching it in WITH a 1/4" of bondo, but thankfully the gel-coat rejected it fairly well and it came off with a putty knife in HUGE sheets :3 the more bondo I peel off, the prettier the car gets!

edit:
And the more REAL fiberglass I uncover, the better the body lines are matched, this was likely a very high quality after market kit OR the dude/gal that made these parts was SKILLED as hell and had lots of time on thier hands...

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy, 31 January 2012 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users