Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat had emissions test today...

It failed. it passed everything with flying colors except the hydro carbons at idle, one, it had 4 vacume leaks wich I fixed, 2 it was idling slow after it was warm and ran real rough. until it passed 1,000 rpms or so. So I gave it a tune up with the help of a friend, got the vacume leaks traced and fixed so now it runs smooth and doesn't hesitate on throttle up. One question, does the carter-webber carb's for the ea81's have an air/fuel mixture adjustment at all?

hmm, well I'm not sure it's an issue anymore, after looking through the test results, it shows that the car was actually running to lean and not to rich... it runs fine at above idle, but when it idles it was leaned out horribly and mis fireing alot, fixing all the vacume leaks smoothed it out alot, but it still has some slight misfires just barely. I'm wonding if just the 3 huge vacume leaks was enough to throw the hydro-carbons up to the 1,027 range instead of below the limit of 220. Anyone else know if that would be what caused that?

Oh you bet I did, that was the problem, it didn't run rough at an idle til I ran it on the freeway and got it real warm.... but yeah, all thoes big vacume leaks getting fixed, also fixed the engine problem, it still had slight fireing problems, so I bought a new air filter, cap, rooter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, that damn thing runs so smooth now, it's incredible. I've never seen it run this good, I'm pretty sure it'll pass now. spent to much though, I can't afford to license it yet cause I got billed from my insurance twice in the same week!