Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a question since I was following info on a newer Outback maybe it held more but anyways I decided to buy antifreeze and mix distilled water myself.. How much coolant does a 97 Outback hold anyways? I did not get close near 2 gals like on outback.org

And since it seems advance auto seems to have a sale on a 50/50 mix draining the system looks like I'd still need two bottles right?

I think the system is something like 6.5 quarts?

There's always some fluid left in the system after draining. So don't expect to get the spec amount back in.

If you've flushed the system with water, then the undrained fluid will be water. In that case, calculate how much concentrated coolant you need, and add that first. Then top up with water. That way you'll end up with the correct mix.

Hmm the overheat might of did it At least it happened before I took a long trip. I really wanted the Koyo radiator but I could not wait the long shipping times..

Anyone know what the bolt size is for the radiator fans? I only have just one holding in the passenger side one because all the others snapped off on the other one.. I don't want to guess.. And while i'm on that you know the wire harness for the radiator plugs and all the runs behind the fans? Well it seems like the last owner broke the clips that it plugs into, so it just hangs down and I have nothing to support the center part of it.

Last time I was at the dealer I asked about the price of a gallon of coolant. Subaru blue lists at $9.98. That's way cheaper than any auto parts store brand around here. Wish I had known that months ago.

I pour half the bottle into an empty gallon jug and fill both back up with water. Use just over a gallon and a half and the rest gets put in the trunk for future use if needed.