Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frozen bolt in rear lateral suspension link arm.

99 ForesterL

Who's got a good hand tool solution to this?

picture.php?albumid=120&pictureid=3265

I'll buy a new bushing and bolt, but I still need to press this out while it's in the car.

The bolt is frozen in the bushing. It would rip the rubber. I cut the head off so maybe I could support the bushing and knock the bolt free. The bolt to the frame mount on the other end is also frozen in it's bushing. I'd be happy to cut these all away, but they seem to be hardened bolts. This one took 3 old sawzall blades to get through.

Any homegrown remedies are appreciated.

Thanks

...2 hours later... I realize having got it disassembled to this point, it was not necessary to remove that bolt, and cutting the head off was unnecessary. It could have been reassembled from this point, although it is not correct. Also I banged up the thread end getting it loose from the knuckle.

mpergielwalkermi97legate99forester08forester

Edited by uniberp

Drill a divot into the end of the bolt and use a small two or three jaw puller with a pointed end to push the bolt out. I would cut off the end opposite the head and push it out rather than through as the head portion may neck-up slightly and be hard push through the bushing.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i've melted bushings away with a torch before too. even a simple cheap-o propane torch will melt/burn bushings. just be prepared for lots of black smoke, warn your neighbors, but it works. :lol:

i'm surprised you got the thing out of the knuckle, those rear lateral link bushings are pure evil for us rustcoasters.

Yeah have had similar issues here, also the lower rear lateral link, where it mounts to the subframe, like to seize at the subframe as well.

good times, lots of penetrant sprayed in there, and good BFH, vice grips, etc to twist, pull, pound, and it will be messed up beyond recognition.

When you reinstall, use sufficient antiseize.

Thank you guys. Glad I'm not alone. I got it. It was kinda grueling. Here's a couple of pics how:

picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3267

Done. NOTE it's a 5/8 washer, sits on the steel insert. The openendwrench supports it.

picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3268

So yes, cutting the head off the bolt is the way to do it. Now to the boneyard to try to remove all those pricey bolts I can find :). I had to die-grind out the inside of the puller 1mm or so to make it fit around the link-end.

The inboards are just gonna stay where they are forever I guess. They seem froze, and you'd have to cut BOTH ends off those bolts to get them out, working on your back, spraying water above your face to keep stuff from heating up and burning. Yessir I'm all about that. Gonna just sandblast them and dope em up with galv. :-\

And after this ordeal, which took an hard chancy wrenching to gain each mm, I immediately went to the other side to see if I could bust that one loose and did. Phew. Dosed it up with antisieze and galv, for next time. D*** my shoulder hurts now. At least I didn't have to grind the whole thing away. That would have taken days.

I don't really want to apply heat to suspension links. pushing it out with a puller would take the steel bushing with it, which I think is bonded to the rubber and would destroy the bushing. This bushing survived.

mpergielwalkermi97legato99forester08forester

Edited by uniberp

Don't know how to describe it properly. But no - no need to mess with lateral bolt at all - that's why I do it that way.

From (my poor memory) an arm attaches a couple feet towards the rear diff and infront of the rear axle. I undo them there.

There's 1 trailing arm and 2 lateral links. Those 2 inboard bolts are as bad as the outboard long bolt,maybe worse . Maybe I'm missing something. It looks like the inboard bolts go through the same type of bushing and are mounted directly to the body. Those I cannot budge.

Right, those are probably 8.8 or 10.9 metric grade bolts, which are fairly high strength. Metric 10.9 is roughly equivalent to grade 8 steel.

Either way, yeah they like to rust, and they expand into the bushings and seize. Usually a BFH (5lb sledge) is what it takes to get the out when they do that. But often times it's easier to just cut/drill the rubber part of the bushing out, pull the bolt out with the inner sleeve and replace with new hardware and bushing.