Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help sourcing rear caliper rebuild kit.

Got rear brakes off a turbo model, and although the price was good, they came pretty crunchy. Been working through cleaning them up and need to redo the rubber seals and such, but no one can seem to order me the right parts. My caliper piston mics at exactly 1 3/16", which is what is listed in the computer for all the stuff that gets ordered, and then when the rubber kit comes, its obviously wrong and for a kit with all the same seals, but a noticeably wider piston. Has anybody negotiated this in the past? Any advice? I can order a Soob Dealer overhaul kit, but those are also $30 per wheel for little rubber seals, so I'd rather avoid it.

Alright, I just caved and got overhaul kits for all 4 calipers so that I can just be done with this endlessly slow brake project. Got cam seals, too, so as not to waste the shipping. Expensive. :dead:

Anyway, if anyone else has other info or secret parts numbers that have tricked some O'Reillys employee into giving them what they actually needed to overhaul EA82 rear calipers, please still post it here.

Alright, I just caved and got overhaul kits for all 4 calipers so that I can just be done with this endlessly slow brake project. Got cam seals, too, so as not to waste the shipping. Expensive. :dead:

Anyway, if anyone else has other info or secret parts numbers that have tricked some O'Reillys employee into giving them what they actually needed to overhaul EA82 rear calipers, please still post it here.

...reman rears with pads at... rockauto.com $31 each..

• 2 weeks later...

PROJECT UPDATE / NON-UPDATE:

The calipers I have came from SubaruJawn, I think off a late 80s EA82T XT. I went to 1stsubaruparts.com and found Rear Caliper Seal Kit #25191GA550. The website had them listed for Loyales with Rear Discs, but was pretty sure I have read on here that all our rear calipers are the same, so I bought them.

Waited 10 days. Got them, in the Fuji Heavy Industries box, and they are the exact same size and shape as the cheap raybestos kits I already have, which don't fit. I mic my rear caliper piston at 1 and 3/16" on the dot, and the seals are for a piston which would mic at around 1 and 3/8". Wtf.

So, now I'm looking for advice.

Were there multiple different rear calipers on EA82 cars?

Does anyone know which are which?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my hands on a reseal kit for this stupid 1 and 3/16" Tokico caliper that is ruining my life?

• 2 weeks later...

So I continued trolling the depths of this website, and several online references and parts stores. I finally have a firmer grasp on what the deal is with these caliper pistons, mostly thanks to old posts by ruparts and GeneralDisorder. I'm sure this is old news to some people, but I found it difficult to find info on, so I figured I'd at least tie the info on at the end of this thread.

It seems that all EA82 rear calipers are INTERCHANGEABLE, but they are not all the same. Depending on which body style and year(?), the calipers have multiple piston diameters. ruparts says he knows of at least 3, I've only run into 2 in my digging around, so I'm only addressing the 2 I've had contact with.

From what I've gathered...

30mm piston rear calipers came on XT6's, and maybe FWD turbos(?). They are less common.

Raybestos overhaul kit: #WK2019.

Raybestos piston: #DPS85211.

Subaru factory overhaul kit should be #725191120. Parts Counter dude says not available at all, so try digging online.

34mm piston rear calipers came on 4x4 GL-10's and RX's, supposedly. They are more common.

Subaru Factory overhaul kit: #25191GA550.

Raybestos overhaul kit: #WK1945.

Raybestos piston: #DPS85143.

Now I'm just waiting for my 30mm kits in the mail.

'Bout time.

• 5 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead, but does anyone know where to obtain these `oddball' 30mm caliper rebuild kits ? Rockauto have the Centric kit on backorder, along with Summit and a few other places. There is a seller on eBay who offers a knock-off of the Centric set but at $25 a set is pretty steep for a 30mm seal and o-ring.

The only other thread on here I could find is even older (2008, thread 83572), where the OP had the smaller size set and was looking for the larger size!

My other option might be to go searching for a similar size caliper off another brand and buy that rebuild kit (30mm can't be that uncommon)...