Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wow not happy with subarupartsforyou.com right now.. I placed the customer pick up order early enough on Friday and 24 he later still waiting to get an email for my order.. And I called asking if it was in stock and they said yes.

I would of been better off just driving to the dealership to pick the order up and spend the extra money

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I just replaced the rollover valve in my 99 obw. it was leaking vac and causing a cel p0446 i believe, anyway had to order a new valve from the dealer. 58$. After I put it in, the cel cleared up but it was very very slow taking gas. Pump kept shutting off. I tried diff stations and pumps, same thing. Finally, i reversed the hoses to the rollover or vent valve(whatever subaru is calling it now) and it takes gas. I would take a pic or mark the hoses before i take off the old one.

I understand the OP has solved this problem using rubber hose, but I thought I'd offer my solution as well. I tried to fix this problem by patching the neck with that two part gas tank sealing putty. It worked for a year before developing leaks again. So I bought a permatex gas tank repair kit, the kind that comes with the little fiberglass cloth and some very good epoxy resin stuff to put over it.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/90-558-gasket-sealer/fuel-tank-repair-kit--604621.aspx

I cleaned the filler neck with a wire brush and some solvent before applying the repair kit and then painted it and I may have even sprayed undercoating. I also left the plastic cover off. That was two years ago and it shows no signs of leaking yet. It's probably not going to last forever but at under $15 I thought it was a good alternative to a new filler neck.

• 1 year later...

I used fuel filler neck hose, as regular rubber hose would swell and fail. It was about 19 dollars for the foot, kinda pricey, luckily I didn't need alot.

Many thanks for this post. I used your idea on a '97 OBW.

Was able to get it to work after I 'modified' the pipe ends in order to fit the 1.5" ID hose on the 1.66" OD filler pipe. The hose has two reinforcing wires wound around it which don't want to expand much. I used part number 23924 Gates fuel filler hose, sold in 3' lengths from Rockauto for about $36. Enough for two jobs easy when the rusty swiss cheesed section cut out is less than 1 foot. There is a non-wire-reinforced version, part number 23964, which might be easier to get over the pipe or try the 1.75" ID version. This hose doesn't see significant pressure and both the wire and non-wire versions are rated at 20 psi. The plastic cover (the cause of the problem) fits over the 23924 hose easily.

Thought I'd write this down before I forget.