Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Max RPM....SPFI auto setup...

So what is the max RPM i should run at with the 3AT, SPFI, open intake and exhaust, and Delta 677-260 cams? Seemed to do well up to 7k....any more? less? what?!

Th reason i ask...I am doing an autocross tomorrow, and IF i run the DL, i would like to keep it in 1st gear, and I tihnk I can, if RPMs allow me. It creates power there, at 7k....but will the engine take that abuse?

Im torn....The GL-10 on 3 cyliders, run 1st until the engine lets go once and for all, a choice of 2 WRXs (not stock at all)...con an STi owner, con an EVO owner...Co drive whatever Pleiades brings, or codrive Warp 3's....so many options...

So..........how many RPMs?????

Here's a story for you.

While I was working at a Subaru shop, they had a EA82 wagon in that they planned to sell. The engine did have a pretty bad lifter tick and an oilpump reseal didn't completely fix it. So the next day they replace the oil with ATF and let it idle all day hoping that would clean thing out. Well that didn't work. So they decited to part the thing out instead. Now when they part one out that has an engine they don't want to keep, they will sometimes run the engine with the Tac pegged untill it throws a rod or has some other critical failure. Well after letting it run at 8k+ a for a while of the Cat started to melt down and before the engine could come apart there was to much backpress for it to run at WOT.

ummm....how long did it sustain 8k?

And, my turbo's engine wont go that far....even with no load. lol

the SPFI will!

And i have decided to run the turbo tomorrow....i wonder how long it will take before catastrophic failure occurs....