Ultimate Subaru Message Board

KYB VS Gabriel VS Monroe

School loans are in and it's time to spiff up my '84 BRAT GL! :banana:

I'm going to replace the rear shocks next week and I'd like a little advice on quality, rideability, and driveability. The BRAT is my daily driver and I don't do any off-roading (yet). So which is best? KYB GR-2, Gabriel Ultra, or Monroe OESpectrum? Ready...set...GO!:lol:

My previous 94SS turbo wagon legacy, I had replaced all 4 dead stock shocks with KYB GR-2. Better than dead stock.

Rescued a 83 GL wagon, and it had some newer KYB Gas adjusts on the back. Drove it and loved it, offroad, onroad, etc. Took it to KC and back 600+ miles, coming back with a ej22t longblock in the back, awesome ride even loaded.

Just recently pulled off my lift kit on the BRAT which had Skyjacker rear shocks. Remembered the Gas Adjust ones from the 83 GL and decided to order them to go back on the BRAT. LOVE them. Awesome. Think much better than GR-2 which were no the TW wagon. I dont think they make gas adjust for legacy's only make Gr-2 for them. But they do make the gas adjust or Gr-2 for BRAT and i think the gas adjust is the better option based on 2 cars that have had them now.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Shock-Strut---Rear-KYB_19171008-P_50_R%7CGRPSHOCAMS____

Put two of these in your cart and apply BIG35 coupon during checkout, and you can have these shocks for <$60 for the pair. Great shocks for the back of the Brat. Might also get free shipping. They have several active coupon codes. Do a search and you might save big bucks.

http://www.edealinfo.com/coupons/merchants/advanceautoparts.php

Use a trial and error approach to see which others work for you.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Shock-Strut---Rear-KYB_19171008-P_50_R%7CGRPSHOCAMS____

Put two of these in your cart and apply BIG35 coupon during checkout, and you can have these shocks for <$60 for the pair. Great shocks for the back of the Brat. Might also get free shipping. They have several active coupon codes. Do a search and you might save big bucks.

http://www.edealinfo.com/coupons/merchants/advanceautoparts.php

Use a trial and error approach to see which others work for you.

So are those the GR-2's or Gas Adjust? I have read on here that the Gas Adjusts tend to ride stiffer than the GR-2's. Is that true? KYB is in the lead...:)

So are those the GR-2's or Gas Adjust? I have read on here that the Gas Adjusts tend to ride stiffer than the GR-2's. Is that true? KYB is in the lead...:)

The main thing that makes a Brat ride stiff is the tension rear suspension. Maybe you should look into the EA82 Coil Over swap ;)

I would say Gas Adjust aswell, the AGX aren't worth the money, I've road in an XT6 with the AGX struts (Nothing impressive)

Maybe it has changed since the last time that i looked at shocks/struts but i could not get KYB gas-adjust struts for the front. The only KYBs for the front were the GR2s which is why i have a set of 4 GR2s rather than gas-adjusts out back and GR2s in the front. Maybe its different now as this was years ago that i did a suspension overhaul but just food for thought.

At any rate i have the GR2s all around and my only complaint is they are somewhat of a stock shock in terms of ride and handling. They are slightly better and will restore the factory ride to your car but dont expect too much more over that.