Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I use Fram in my 2.2 it is closing in on 300,000 miles. I used Fram in my 83 Chev. Malibu it had close to 400,000 miles on it. Both cars used to del. mail over 100 miles a day in extreme dusty conditions. But Fram doesn't have many friends here.

Fram doesn't have many friends anywhere. I don't know why really. I use them on my Soob and it now has 241,000. I was told by several people that the dealer/Subaru filter is the best because it limits the oil pressure and is better to stop oil seal leakage.

I use either the OEM or the Purolator P14460. I think they're identical save for the shape of the gasket (rounded cross section on the OEM versus rectangular on the Purolator).

Note that the P14460 is of the "Premium Plus" line, not the "PureOne" line (I think the his part number is L14460).

I currently use three different filters depending on application. I use the supertech for my beater, the Amsoil with Amsoil synthetic in the Subaru, and napa gold for everything in between. From what I have seen the OEM filters are very good. I think the napa gold and the OEM are the best buy at ~$5. The supertech is a pretty good filter for $2 but I have had some unusual startup lifter noise that I attribute to a leaky anti drain back valve. I don't think I would use one on a car I cared about.

As much as everyone blasts fram's cardboard end caps I think the biggest problem is the poor anti drain back valve and bypass valve. My mom was having trouble with lifter noise on startup with her lumina van and fixed it by changing from fram to wix (napa gold).