Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Gen Legacy Air Suspension Lift

ianmc54

So yes I am a Noob. I've been reading all sorts of threads about this but still need some clarification. I have a 1992 Legacy Wagon with air suspension. I'm pretty sure the air suspension was turned off before I bought the car. I notice a bouncy feel and a flashing air height button. I want to raise my car evenly, about an inch or 2.

I was always told that dampers+springs=struts. So I am a little confused when people say the KYB are struts. Aren't they just part of the strut?

Can I keep my legacy springs and put KYB or OB dampers spec'd from a 96'-98'? Or do I need to get both dampers and springs from a spec'd 96' to 98' OB?

Do i keep the rear mounts from my legacy?

Thanks

struts are "dampers" for a macpherson setup. EJ subarus use struts at all 4 corners.....springs are not part of the struts.

Air suspension doesn't have springs. It has a strut assembly with airbags in place of springs. So you'll need struts and springs (and spring perches, and possibly top hats) to convert to conventional suspension.

If your air struts are blown and riding on the bump stops, stock suspension for a standard legacy will give you an inch or 2, easily.

But you can mix and match standard legacy parts and outback parts. OB struts will gain you a couple inches, springs will probably get another.

"Air suspension doesn't have springs."

Then what are the coil things I see? I thought those were springs? Not sarcastic, just confused.

So which option is correct?

1) 96-98 OB dampers, springs, spring perches and tophats

2) KYB GR-2 dampers spec'd for 96-98 OB, use current springs, perches & tophats

Are both options possible? Would there be difference in ride height between the 2 options? Would option 1 require drilling for the rear tophat?

"Air suspension doesn't have springs."

Then what are the coil things I see? I thought those were springs? Not sarcastic, just confused.

Then they have already been replaced with conventional struts - very common to see that as the air-bag struts were in the $300 to $500 per-strut range so when a couple of them fail it's pretty easy to talk somoene into just swapping to conventional. Thus your flashing light. You can remove the switch, and you can also remove the compressor and tank under the driver's side fender. None of it is functional and it's just dead weight now.

So which option is correct?

1) 96-98 OB dampers, springs, spring perches and tophats

2) KYB GR-2 dampers spec'd for 96-98 OB, use current springs, perches & tophats

Are both options possible? Would there be difference in ride height between the 2 options? Would option 1 require drilling for the rear tophat?

Neither is correctly actually.

You need the whole 96 to 98 OB strut, spring, and top-hat for the front.

In the rear you will use the OB strut and spring and the '92 top-hat.

It's important to retain the OB strut AND spring as they both contribute to the ride height increase.

GD

Ok thanks.

So will my 92' rear tophats just fit right on the OB spring in the rear?

In the case that i only want a slight increase in ride height, could I just use the OB struts and not springs? What type of difference in ride height are we talking about?

Ok thanks.

So will my 92' rear tophats just fit right on the OB spring in the rear?

Yes.

In the case that i only want a slight increase in ride height, could I just use the OB struts and not springs? What type of difference in ride height are we talking about?

It's about 3" overall. About half strut and half spring.

GD