Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been thinking about this and it has me wondering now myself.. So not that I intentionality let it get this low but I got my gas low enough that it was resting on the peg and I had no signs of stumbling or anything like that.. Now when I had my 95 Legacy when I started to get that low and make left hand turns it would start to starve for fuel.. So now this morning I was driving to work and I was a bit above empty and next thing I now I'm under and I'm resting on the peg again..

So I put gas in after work.. $15 worth was about 3.9 Gal.. So that brings it up from the peg to 1/4 and I'm thinking that can't be right?

And while driving home I noticed it went down a little bit but then came back up.. I was thinking about pulling the assembly and testing the fuel sender.. From what I hear a full tank should be about 1 MegaOhm and I forget what the lower end should be.

My 95 wagon is the same way. The needle moves up and down all over the place. I've watched it move from 1/8th tank to up over 1/4.

Last week I set the needle on the peg then drove to work and back two more times. Only took 13 gallons to fill it. I have noticed though that the needle on the wagon comes down form full much sooner than my sedan ever did. Going by the gauge, (which is pointless) I typically only get 40 miles out of that first "quarter".

My sedan does at least 60 miles of the same type of driving to move that first "quarter".

I have some BG 44K that I'm going to pour in the wagon and maybe it will help the fuel sender. Don't know.

I probably shouldn't say amything because I own a 2005. But, I was at my sending units last year at this time. In this newer car the closer to 0 ohms the closer to full the reading and 90 to 95 Ohms was empty. ...rrrr the other way round. Point being a Megaohm seems really high. 50 ohms put me at a perfect half tank.

Just keep track of your trip meter if you don't trust your gas gauge.

My 96 had a random gauge sometimes, BUT, the low fuel light is a totally different circuit. And that always came on when there was just over 2 gallons left, regardless what the gauge said. So that's nice, at least.

• 9 months later...

Ok I need to find one.. If you check on car parts it never says which sender it is.. and being as it's not that big I don't want to drive out and see they don't have it.. (happened when locating a transmission)

Since I put a full tank in and drive about the same way each week I figured around 260-280 it would start to show the low fuel light.

IMAG0102.jpg