Ultimate Subaru Message Board

project Blue 94 LEgacy GT wagon with 46k begins.

Just a heads up i am going to be using this thread to report progress on a 94 Legacy GT wagon with 46k on it that I just purchased.

Pictures of the "before" will be up when i take them tomorrow. I already cleared up the foggy headlight issue though so the pic wil show them clear not cloudy/yellowed.

Already drained ATF and refilled, and did a oil and filter change in the garage.

Already fixed the broken tab on the right side front turn light.

Will take pics before i do more......

and then follow the thread if you are interested in what i do to my cars.

Edited by bheinen74

on the drive home, i kept wanting to raise the seat height.....

but there is not lever to raise it. Turns out, it was just the raised roof, extra headroom throwing me off. I thought i should be sitting closer to the headliner, but will get used to the extra height soon. (didn't realize the GT did not have the lever to crank the seat up or down)

Mine is the Automatic version. I just put in Wal mart Tech brand ATF on the firstdrain/fill/ It was not burnt what came out.....just darker but still had life left in it.

I put in castrol gtx regular 10w-30 and a wix 51334 filter. Will drain the Gearbox section and i may put synthetic in there. The car has share of dents and surface rust in the normal places for car here, but the drive and various other things indicate the mileage is true. Some things are the radio buttons, etc are not worn off, and the labels for the levers for turn signal, wiper lights are still like new. and the way the car drove over the bumps in the road, everything is very tight and no looseness like a car would show after 100k this has got to be true, except the body is kinda beat up for being from a old lady who died, and gave it to here daughter who didnt want the car.

even the front side windows lack the normal scratches from the up and downs.....i think i will have a good runner, and a dog hauling car.

Edited by bheinen74

Good find brent, you gonna retire the SS from winter duty.

yes- or all duty for a while. Once i work the bugs out on the GT, those Nokians are going right on. Will be nice to not have to fill up with premium this winter.

Looks like no chance for pics today, the weather is not right today. Lightening right now, its really going to be a dark day.

pics not cleaned up or anything

DSCF0043.jpg?t=1318446374

DSCF0044.jpg?t=1318446356

DSCF0045.jpg?t=1318446357

DSCF0046.jpg?t=1318446329

I just got done fixing the burned out dash backlights, and the "D" indicator light which is in the center dash-that one is sort of tricky to replace. Also, did the title transfer/license stuff this AM for it.

Edited by bheinen74

Looks great! Perhaps it is the color, but it looks like it hardly has any rust at all!

What's the next task now that the dash lights are sorted out?

By the way, I just got a thread started for my own '94 Legacy GT... I have a moderate list of issues to work through to fix it up to my liking, should be interesting:

1994 Legacy GT - Repairs & Upgrades, A Build Thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126886

replaced the torn speaker grille cover with a spare I had, looks much nicer

DSCF0005.jpg?t=1318534449

a shot of all the backlighting fixed, still waiting on finding one more good bulb for the cruise switch before putting that back in

DSCF0002.jpg?t=1318534507

washed it in the rain yesterday, this side has quarter rust

DSCF0004.jpg?t=1318534521

Also just got done installed the rear "SUBARU" badge i had laying around.

going to remove front right fender to see how good I can make the dent disappear tomorrow. got the bulb in for the defrost/cruise backlight, all lights are as they came when new now....used bulbs do work.

This car has many dents. I will have to learn the paintless dent removal method, paint is still good for the most part....

going to detail the engine soon as well, so a before and after of that. Interior is immaculate as is.

Edited by bheinen74

Simple green to start, and rags.

as things get clean, then i stick with simple green and old toothbrush and rags.

Alloy Metal stuff can get a small brass bristle brush.

I remove the caps for stuff, dipsticks, overflow, etc from the csr and use hot soapy water and a good toothbrush.

The black metals once cleaned with the simple green, go really well with Armor All.

I sometimes find wd-40 works with a brush and rag as well.

Will post another before, and the after will look new in comparison. This one is going to be easier than some. I can't wait to start on it.

Edited by bheinen74

Hmm... Are you using the regular Simple Green?

I know a lot of automotive people have quit using it, particularly on wheels, because it is corrosive to aluminum... They apparently make an "aviation grade" version of Simple Green that is safe for aluminum, but I have no idea where to buy it (or how much it costs).

guess KBB.com does not agree on Subaru GT Wagon, that model is not available in the pricing, they show L, LS, LSi, and touring, but they DO NOT have GT as a option.

I emailed kbb a nastygram.

I called one of the local dealers here about some other parts, and they always ask the standard questions to make sure they're getting you the right parts. I told him it was a '94 Legacy GT, AWD, manual trans... non-turbo... wagon.. he said "Ok, with the 2.5". No, the 2.2. He looked for several minutes in his computer and couldn't figure it out... it kept coming back as 2.5L. So I asked him if the 2.5 was even available in 94? He thought about that for a second, and then concluded that their system didn't have the '94 GT in it. :D

So it's not just KBB!

yeah was just on FredBeans parts looking for a "GT AWD" rear hatch badge emblem. Not there either......they have all but GT.......and I know it had the emblem cause i can see the imprint of what it was. I may go take a pick and see if pooparu can make a sticker of it.....then slap the sticker over any old badge.....

Guess I will give Jason a call.

Now, rockauto lists the GT.....so go figure.

Edited by bheinen74

replaced right fender side bulb and pushed the dent out some. painted my extra turbo grill for the second time first blue was not correct, so i got a rustoleum navy the 2nd try, it is still not right color match but better, installed the Turbo grille anyway.

was not nice weather to be out detailing it so nothing yet.

Id still like to find a gen 1 legacy 5 speed. I think they would be a fun car to have. 5 speed so i get the 50/50 torque split.

You can get that on the 4eat too if you put a switch to lock the clutch packs. Or make a knob to better control the clutch packs...

But 5speeds are more fun :D

DSCF0019.jpg?t=1318792231

turbo grill, navy rustoleum close enuf for now. Trying to find an on the shelf paint so i can fix rust spots..for cheap. Guess I will keep buying paint til i find a match...

DSCF0020.jpg?t=1318792234

badge installed

DSCF0021.jpg?t=1318792243

the remnants of the GT AWD or was it GT 4WD badge, does anyone know?