Ultimate Subaru Message Board

project Blue 94 LEgacy GT wagon with 46k begins.

DSCF0027-1.jpg?t=1321562030 old knock sensor was toastit was still one with the grey connector, so original too the car.

DSCF0028-1.jpg?t=1321562030top cracked too

new knock sensor today

last week new air filter.

replaced the autozone plug wires with some used but newer NGK wires from a junkyard car.

going to try and get the gas guage working this weekend with some parts from ShawnW.

PS. I have a stash of like 12 of these cracked KS's. Every single legacy i have owned has had cracked ones, and the several engines i have pulled at junkyards too are cracked.

Edited by bheinen74

the remnants of the GT AWD or was it GT 4WD badge, does anyone know?

I got really lucky and my GT parts car had both the badges which are now on my L. Looks like it is 4WD from my pic. Car is looking good also! My uncle had one he sent to the crusher that was identical same color GT and all, it had my engine in it, and didn't even give me the opportunity to purchase it. I would have loved parts off from it for my current L

5-5.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I swapped out the fuel sending unit/whole fuel pump assembly with one ShawnW was kind enough to get for me, to try to get the gas guage working.

That was a no go, still no worky fuel guage

Thursday I repaired the rear window defrost grid lines with the Permatex defrost repiar kit (see my other thread on that process), and have gone from like 8 lines not working to only 1 not working. big difference.

Today I was able to get another try at fixing the gas guage. This time, I actually went to junkyad and pulled the fuel guage portion out of a dash cluster.

Got home, and decided to go ahead and swap them. Okay, so I think that part is working, I did my best to get the guage needle in the right spot for how much fuel i have in the tank. Got gas the other night, filled up, and drove about 78 miles since then, so i put the needle right a tad above 3/4 full with the car running. Prior to installing the marker pointer, I had the car off, and put the pointer on lightly with the marker to empty. Knowing I had a near full tank, I started the car, and the guage was slowly moving to fuller like it was supposed to. So I popped the pointer back off gently, let the car idle for a few minutes for the guage to even out, and popped it bak on where it should be after driving for 75-80 miles, right above the 3/4 mark.

Okay, started to inspect why the old guage was not working. HELLO. When i bought this car the speedo was only working part time. And the gas guage was dead the first minute i drove the car cause i filled up the mile down the road from when I purchased the car.

So, turns out the screwball mechanic who worked on this before me, who I now assume had the speedo cluster out to try and get the speedo to work, had smashed/shorted out the 2 diodes for the gas guage......It was obvious upon inspection. So, I have fixed it.

I can really call out the mechanic who previous did work on this a total screwball.

He had changed the alternator, but knocked the oil pressure switch connector off.

He had put ATF in the front diff instead of gear oil.

He has smashed said fuel guage

He has installed cheapy plug wires that kept coming off the driver front spark plug, which when i started it up the said it started to miss, and i found that issue before even buying the car. OMG I am ranting on this. At least I will get the car back to tip top.

Edited by bheinen74

5 speed = yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Isnt that the one you rebuilt and went all through the engine.

yeap it is 110% better than new on all mechanicals, but my dad cheaped on hood and bumper repair so that is not but 90% to new, rest of the car is better than new.

On my 94LGT, i drrove 160miles now on the gas gauge fix, i am just under the half mark....so maybe i didnt instal needle high enough.

I would thinkg after 160 miles, i would be on half, not just under...

I talked on phone with previous legit owner..this one was supposed to be sent to scrap...she missed the car (it was the best car they ever had til problems developed) and when i said had been driving it, she was like, "oh damn " that they sent off for scrap never got it running right.....I told her I would give it some some love, and maybe drive it to her to see one day......

removed the stock wheels.

Recently I got a set of 4 Winterforce snows on craigs for 100 bucks. Yesterday I had my friend mount them on my spare 94SS wheels from Mick's car. :)

DSCF0034-1.jpg?t=1322772026

DSCF0035.jpg?t=1322772020

Now, I hope it snows soon.

They look good! What size are they?

I've been going back and forth on which winter tires to get... the Firestone Winterforce gets good reviews, but the General Altimax Arctic (a rebrand/remake of the discontinued Gislaved NordFrost 3) gets good if not better reviews. The Winterforce seems to be a better deep snow tire, while the Altimax Arctic seems to edge it out on ice.

Either way, I'm also trying to decide if I should go up a size or two for some extra ground clearance, or keep 'em the stock width so that they cut down better. I think you can go up one notch in height on the Winterforce (185/75/14), but that's it.

I've been looking for snow tires with an 80 profile, but it seems as though nobody makes them anymore. :-\

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Project has been sold to new owner this AM.

next..

I found another car for you. :clap:

1994 Subaru Legacy GT AWD - $1800 (Mt. Penn)

Date: 2012-01-28, 9:33AM EST

Reply to: sale-gerez-2817942391@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1994 Subie 5 speed with 158,000 inspected til 11/12 power windows and locks just had a new clutch put in 3 months ago along with rear brakes driver side axle and lower ball joint. Runs strong has a lot more life left great in snow has a little body rust and the cd player doesn't work has factory tape deck with AM FM radio also has the ABS light on not sure why brakes work fine. Feel free to ask me any questions by email text or call me (xxx) xxx-xxxx Javier.

5Lc5Ff5M73Gf3K13L4c1p2ab0299a121e1aaa.jpg5G95U65J73Fc3N43H2c1p5ce7168af60216f8.jpg

5N65M65J33M33I43H7c1p77f6f94cb36814a1.jpg5F15M25Jd3Kd3M83J8c1pac62479678c11f63.jpg

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/2817942391.html