Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBS Suspension lift

blk99obs

Thanks for the kind words Sifu! Strut health is unknown honestly. The fozzy I pulled parts from at the junkyard had a digital odometer and no battery/key so no clue there.

When I pulled the rears apart for the top-hat swap, I sort of pushed and pulled on the strut shaft of the stockers and the ones going in and seemed about the same so I called it good, no visible oil leaks on either *shrugs*

Latest update is I bought an SPC camber kit for the rear for $27 from kragen (they actually had it in stock!!!) and ordered some 3/8" Paranoid Fabrications saggy boob spacers. Once the spacers and camber kit are in, its time for the alignment rack!

Edited by blk99obs

• 6 months later...

Ok, got a 99 lego outback trans with like 1/4 of a mil miles on it lol. We'll see how she does, hoping the prev owners were nice to it!

Heres some more pics! Still think I need to space the wheels a tad...

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Edited by blk99obs

Ok, got a 99 lego outback trans with like 1/4 of a mil miles on it lol. We'll see how she does, hoping the prev owners were nice to it!

Heres some more pics! Still think I need to space the wheels a tad...

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

and rear diff too no doubt?

So that'll be a 4.11 axle ratio!! You will be in LOVE, compared to a 3.90 with tall tires, off road!!! :banana:

and rear diff too no doubt?

So that'll be a 4.11 axle ratio!! You will be in LOVE, compared to a 3.90 with tall tires, off road!!! :banana:

Haha yup rear diff too! And gonna put in a new clutch/flywheel while I'm at it, nothing special though on those since the tranny knocked my funding rather short. Hopefully I can snag the front CVs from that lego too cause my driver side boot has been blown since before I had the car and the pass one just went and slathered grease all over the cat... now my car stinks and pours smoke out of the hood when I stop lol! Surprised they haven't strung me up for that one living here in Cali!

I don't need anything weird for clutch right? just regular imp?

I don't need anything weird for clutch right? just regular imp?

yup. I speced one (from car quest) for my 95 leggo (cable) and one for my wife's 03 OBS. They were like $80-$100 different, but the part numbers were really the same. I called the manufacturer (exedy) and the tech in the warehouse said the specs are the same and they are the same materials and parts, save a minniscual spec difference for the 2.5 engine (although no differences in torque or HP spec), which amounted to allowing them to charge more for it... So with caution you could get on for a gen 2 leggacy and save money, or go for your particular car, or go for the 99 OB spec... you shuold go in and ask them to spec out all of them and have a laugh ;)

yup. I speced one (from car quest) for my 95 leggo (cable) and one for my wife's 03 OBS. They were like $80-$100 different, but the part numbers were really the same. I called the manufacturer (exedy) and the tech in the warehouse said the specs are the same and they are the same materials and parts, save a minniscual spec difference for the 2.5 engine (although no differences in torque or HP spec), which amounted to allowing them to charge more for it... So with caution you could get on for a gen 2 leggacy and save money, or go for your particular car, or go for the 99 OB spec... you shuold go in and ask them to spec out all of them and have a laugh ;)

Cool, I assumed since you could convert the tranny from hydro to cable that it would work, noticed the spline count and diameter is the same too. I just like to double check, never know.

I ended up just ordering a stock replacement Exedy kit, was like $130 so not bad, least it wasn't like when I bought the Exedy stage 1 for my CRX, that was owch... I also got a Sachs flywheel, again just stock replacement, couldn't find any aftermarket ones within budget but was thinking the momentum from the heavier wheel might be good for off road situations anyway.

Got a main-shaft nut, and a gasket for the center diff case, so I can do the mainshaft nut fix before I put the tranny in. Its a PITA to do under the car if it comes loose... not to mention trashes the tranny if u run it long when loose (guess how I know).

Junkyard CV axles, outer boots are lookin pretty cracked, but inners are good, which is whats blown on my current ones. Might replace them before they go in... I'll see how I feel bout it when I start.

Looks like its on for tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Well it turned into quite the fiasco!

The tranny I got had a leaking shift rod seal so I fixed that, put in a new mainshaft nut, swapped over all the cable clutch stuff and cleaned/greased things.

Then I pull the old tranny off to find a blown rear main seal, then I pulled that out without thinking to carefully mark where it was... luckily I had a dirt line to fall back on, did RTV on the outside, grease on the inside method and pushed in with my fingers, we'll see what happens.

Pilot bearing was trashed, half the balls were missing from it and the shields were gone lol.

Put in new flywheel, clutch, pilot/throwout bearings. There was no book available for my car at any of the parts stores so I just went with about 65-70 lbs on the flywheel, and 25 I believe it was on the pressure plate... My torque wrench is kind of a POS anyway so figured better tight than loose.

The axles the junkyard gave me were totally ghetto, so I just said screw it and bought new ones for up front, rears are still good.

Lubed up my clutch cable with some tri-flo, which I thought was a good idear, but now my clutch feels very sticky, go figure... Perhaps it calls for grease? maybe I need a new one? iono might have kinked it or something but its damn sure not as smooth as it was.

Then I had an old exhaust which someone put on my CRX before I owned it, it was just a straight pipe with a magnaflow muffler on it, and I replaced with a better catback. I was gonna toss it out, but then I thought, why waste that good muffler? So on it went! My Subaru now sounds soooo awesome! My dad and I welded it up with the stock mounts, and tucked it up so its kinda stealth. It not by any means obnoxiously loud, actually sounds the same loudness at idle, but damn does it have a growl when you get on it!

I'll keep you guys posted on whether I monumentally screwed something up, or if it is in fact just my clutch cable is fubar lol. I've done a lot of clutches on Hondas, so not like this is my first go round, granted suby is different but same principles. I torqued the flywheel in star pattern and a little at a time so iono... The clutch fork was running buttery smooth after I assembled that and cleaned/greased the sliding surfaces, like the where the ball part meets the fork. Eh... whatevs though, it drives, the short gears are illmatic! and sounds so good I actually turn down my music to hear it, not the other way round haha.

Edited by blk99obs

• 2 months later...

Ok further update, bought a new clutch cable, and hopped in it for a trip to Whistler this summer. Only got as far as Crescent City before one of the new axles I got from kragen blew off the inner boot and tossed all the grease out... Car started shaking violently and making really nasty noises and I was pissed cause I thought I screwed something up. Pull off in Crescent City, its 4th of July so nothing is open and chaos is everywhere it seems with fire trucks and police cars racing around. So my friend and I are looking at the axle and scratching our heads... and my friend says to me "I've got a tub of bike grease" and I say "I've got a sack of zip-ties" and we got to work. Cut off the old metal boot strap, packed it with as much bike grease as we could stuff in there, zip-tied the CV boot back on, and away we went. It was super sketch to drive at first, could barely give it any throttle without it shaking really hard, and turning was squirrely at best, but after a few hundred miles of the lightest driving I could do, it seemed to smooth out ok. We made it all the way to Whistler with it this way, and even managed to go 110 on it at one point trying to catch a ferry, which we literally missed by 2 mins. It was a hell of a trip, Eugene was raging on the 4th, Whistler was awesome, though I made the mistake of letting my friend talk me into drinking some tequila. Since I seriously never drink, it hit me really hard and I found myself stumbling around Whistler village until I found a black bear which didn't take kindly to my presence and chased me away into a crowd of people. My friend, I found sopping wet a while later, apparently he went home with some girl from the bar and her room mate and bf came home and ran him out of the hot tub naked so he streaked half the village with the bf in chase before losing him and finding a place to put on his clothes. It was the most chaotic trip ever. We even got searched by Canadian border patrol for 2 hours lol. Anyway I'm still alive and the Suby is rockin, no leaks, so apparently I lucked out on the rear main seal, and yea everything is working good so far. Think the next things im going to do are LSD rear, wheel spacers, and a thicker rear sway. I'll keep everyone posted!