Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Legacy GT - Repairs & Upgrades, A Build Thread

Red92

Looks good I like the deeper gold color. I also like the front lip they put on that!

I think the gold looks kinda cheesy. I would paint them black with a silver lip.

Haha. So we're still at 50/50. :D Anyone else have an opinion?

I suppose I could paint them something different...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks McBrat. Subaru has historically been pretty bold with the use of gold wheels on other cars too (particularly the blue Impreza WRXs). So it isn't that uncommon on the newer models to see the gold wheels...

Another option would be to give a nod to the old-school, and paint 'em white. :D But that might look even more cheesy than the gold?

I couldn't find any red ones, but here are some pictures of a burgundy colored first-gen Legacy with white wheels:

5111377185_33d06229df.jpg

5111988394_f1aa3a5009_z.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

Pictures from: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44684

Haha. So we're still at 50/50. :D

That's great--YOU get to cast the deciding vote!

Anyone else have an opinion?

Sure do! Gold looks a little too gaudy for my taste. A more subdued bronze looks better to me.

Pure white is great on the old flat wagon wheels but not on alloys.

Black is just plain boring.

Silver, charcoal or gunmetal are the proper colors for wheels! (You asked!)

I couldn't find any red ones, but here are some pictures of a burgundy colored first-gen Legacy with white wheels:

5111377185_33d06229df.jpg

Funny to see that pop up on here, both the first gen legacy's in that pic are friends of mine up here in Maine.

The wagon that's half out of the picture is the fastest first gen legacy I've ever seen/ridden in/heard of.

Funny to see that pop up on here, both the first gen legacy's in that pic are friends of mine up here in Maine.

The wagon that's half out of the picture is the fastest first gen legacy I've ever seen/ridden in/heard of.

Awesome! Tell your friends they have two the coolest first-gen legacies out there. :headbang:

The red one looks great, and the burgundy one looks sweet with the flared fenders and the new wheels! :eek:

5701391902_87a3c153f9_z.jpg

5700801581_1652b1c817_z.jpg

I might have to pull some ideas from these two. The blacked out chrome on the red one looks really sharp, and I think it paves the way for other wheel color choices - particularly the gunmetal grey. :cool: I'm also digging that rear spoiler on the burgundy one. Modified from a 98 lgt is what they said? Do you happen to know what kind of modifications it needed or how it mounts?

I've asked him about it, he said he used double sided tape (3m) I have one I've modified (cut the original mounts off from) that I'm going to be adding to mine soon. I don't like the dust defector that's on there now anyhow. And I agree, having eyed both of those cars over on the local forum they are beautiful.

That's great--YOU get to cast the deciding vote!

Rats, I hate making decisions like this. :D

Sure do! Gold looks a little too gaudy for my taste. A more subdued bronze looks better to me.

Pure white is great on the old flat wagon wheels but not on alloys.

Black is just plain boring.

Silver, charcoal or gunmetal are the proper colors for wheels! (You asked!)

I did ask, and thanks (seriously) for the opinions. :)

I've asked him about it, he said he used double sided tape (3m) I have one I've modified (cut the original mounts off from) that I'm going to be adding to mine soon. I don't like the dust defector that's on there now anyhow. And I agree, having eyed both of those cars over on the local forum they are beautiful.

So cutting the mounts off is what the modification is? That doesn't sound so bad then! I was picturing a sectioned part with a bunch of fiberglass work. zzz

Also, I can't quite tell... is the spoiler on the red Legacy different? It almost looks bigger and curvier than the one on the burgundy car... like it has an air gap between it and the body, while the other one doesn't. I think I like the one on the burgundy car better.

5849024434_87c9ee811e_z.jpg

(By the way, if you have any good pictures of the red one, please post 'em up! I'm starting to lean toward gunmetal now for the wheels, just because of this car. :D)

So cutting the mounts off is what the modification is? That doesn't sound so bad then! I was picturing a sectioned part with a bunch of fiberglass work. zzz

Also, I can't quite tell... is the spoiler on the red Legacy different? It almost looks bigger and curvier than the one on the burgundy car... like it has an air gap between it and the body, while the other one doesn't. I think I like the one on the burgundy car better.

(By the way, if you have any good pictures of the red one, please post 'em up! I'm starting to lean toward gunmetal now for the wheels, just because of this car. :D)

I went on his facebook and found these...

271108_10150716787345107_720170106_19859136_558899_n.jpg

284661_10150262276677114_667132113_7379859_7085063_n.jpg

312991_2466972356602_1321103381_2933028_1582078651_n.jpg

310973_2466975156672_1321103381_2933037_366892895_n.jpg

FYI, it's painted lexus red.

I'm going to be looking into the rear wing this weekend. I'll post pics and such up if I get it all done.

Thanks, that would be great! :cool:

ok the gunmetal looks better than gold. more subtle and matches window trims, bumper trims etc, the gold looks out of place on these.

Yeah, I'm really leaning toward the gunmetal now. :cool: Either that, or I could keep it dark and metallic but mix in a bit of dark bronze or that sort of color:

ADV1-03.jpg

I'll have to pick up a spare set of wheels though, otherwise I'm going to be painting them one at a time by swapping out the spare. :D

I will also have to figure out the sequence... I need new tires before winter, and I've heard that it is best to paint the wheels with the weights removed (in case they need to remove weights to balance them). But obviously you don't want to drive too much on wheels without weights! So it would all have to happen pretty fast.

I think finding a spare set of wheels would be the easiest way to do it. So it might be a while before I get around to painting the wheels. :-\

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get cans of touch-up paint for the "Cranberry Pearl" paint color, code 428?

I checked with Dupli-Color, but they only have Subaru matches back through the 2000 model year... and the only "Cranberry" color they list anywhere else is a Chrysler "Deep Cranberry"... :-\

Edited by Red92

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get cans of touch-up paint for the "Cranberry Pearl" paint color, code 428?

I checked with Dupli-Color, but they only have Subaru matches back through the 2000 model year... and the only "Cranberry" color they list anywhere else is a Chrysler "Deep Cranberry"... :-\

Go to a napa or a some other auto store that mixes paint and give them your paint code. They should be able to mix you a can.

i tried a Duplicolor on my old whinestone 94TW, but the duplicolor was too light for it. I still have most of the can left.

It is in front of me, T278 Dark Canyon Red. I would give that one a try on a small spot to see how well it goes...

The cap is darker than what sprays out and dries, so dont go by the cap. Paint something not from the car, let dry, and sit next to the hood, see how it matches up.

If you still need the struts Ill make you such a deal that shipping won't be a concern. I just got a car in that is getting Outback suspension put on and will have the springs and perches left over. Just a matter of paying for some KYB struts and $25/strut to mount all the pieces over.

KYB Struts are $ 72.71 ea for the fronts.

If you still need the struts Ill make you such a deal that shipping won't be a concern. I just got a car in that is getting Outback suspension put on and will have the springs and perches left over. Just a matter of paying for some KYB struts and $25/strut to mount all the pieces over.

KYB Struts are $ 72.71 ea for the fronts.

PM sent. :cool:

I just jacked up the car and checked out the drivers side strut... it too has a broken spring! It broke right at the very first coil on the top, so the spring stayed centered on the perch OK. That's probably the reason why the car doesn't look lopsided, even though the passenger side strut has the spring broken in two spots. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this thing doesn't look like a lifted 4x4 once the suspension is fixed! :D Might not be too bad going into winter, but still... the ride height is pretty nice right now. ;)

Two more things about the car:

It has a bit of a rattling sound from the rear end when you drive over bumps in the road. I can't find anything obviously lose or worn out, aside from the two linkages on the ends of the rear sway bar. Would this be enough to make the noise, or is there another common wear point I should look for? The swaybar links don't look too hard to replace...

Also, I've noticed that while the two front tires are unevenly worn, the rears look to be almost new, with a significant amount of tread left. The tires are marked "Fisk Classic", which appears to be a store brand carried by Discount Tire, reportedly manufactured by Michelin. The size is 185/70/14, and they have a Mud + Snow rating.

I know I need to replace the fronts due to the uneven wear, and I know that all four have to be the same diameter (within a tolerance) for the AWD system... but it is looking like I might be able to just replace a pair if the tread depth is close enough on the new ones.