Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front end noise question

'91 Loyale 4x4 wagon, 5 sp.

Yet another front end noise for folks to contemplate. The noise is a whump sound that increases as wheel rotation increases and can only be heard from about 25-30 mph on up. If you've ever had a tire tread separate, that's what it sounds like. My wife drove the car while I had my head to the passenger's side floor and it's defenitely coming from either the transaxle or inside CV joint, but it's not a click sound like descriptions in other postings I read. It's always there too - accelerating, breaking, clutch in or out, turning or straight, but I didn't hear when I had it up on jack stands, even when the speedo showed 35 mph.

A few weeks ago I tore into both sides of the front end and replaced the wheel bearings and seals, tie rod ends, ball joints, strut assemblies, and brake pads. I also replaced all CV boots and repacked the CV joints. The sound appeared a couple of weeks after all of this. Is it possible that I pushed an almost worn inner CV joint over the edge? By the way, I triple checked the axle nuts and they're good and tight. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

Inner joints (which are Double Offset Joints, not technically CV's) are often to blame for harsh vibration, or strange noises that aren't "clicking". I had an inner joint so bad one time I thought the car was going to fall apart. Replaced axle - problem solved.... till the axle blew again because it was a crappy rebuild. I'm only buying new axles from now on....

GD

I JUST got home from changing my axle (which turned into fix the whole front end because this that and the other are also messed up)

The sound you are describing is the same sound mine was making. When I pulled the axle out is was obvious that the DOJ was shot.

Change the axles. =)

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a bad DOJ from what people have said, although there's no vibration or harsh sound, just a whump sound every time the wheel rotates. It's not a tire, brake rotor, or CVJ because the sound comes from the inboard side. Any chance it could be a bad driveshaft bearing?

Also, do I need to replace the whole axle assemblies, or can I just rebuild the DOJ's? (The axle assemblies were replaced approx. 70k miles ago). Do axle assemblies come with the DOJ? Lastly, can you guys recommend a good place to order them from? Thanks much.