Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tundrabrat Build

tundrabrat

Been working on all the little stuff in between a couple of projects... helping my nephew with his first enginebuild and building a race engine for an '05 Legacy (the last one is paying for the BRAT build). But I did buy a new mig welder last weekend!!!

EA81 block will be back from the machine shop next week so that will get going pretty quick as well.

I'll be working on it this weekend off and on.

Oh yeah... I located a 5spd too (:

Edited by tundrabrat

Well I give you a call on Friday to see what your doin

Also there's another set of 14 In steel pugs on Craigslist for $180 with 175/75/r14 studs

I emailed him about a trade but if you want another set feel free to swipe Em

I'm good on wheels... but I'm still interested in your hatch (:

It's my brothers dd ATM but I'll see if I can trade him for a day so I can show it to you. It's nothing to jump up and down about but it should make a good wheeler.

and my brothers been talkin about getting another loyale so who knows it might be for sale soon

And I'd rather it go some one who will love it and drive it and weld random bits of metal on to it, then some stupid person who wants it to thrash it

• 1 month later...

Just coming up for air... Finished the two builds I was working on for different people (to help fund the BRAT build) and got side tracked with a GL10 I picked up to drive this Summer while I finish the build... but I'm finally back at it.

I picked up a new welder (super stoked) and my decked and built heads, EA82 pistons, rings, oil pump, etc. came in last week.:brow:

Pics and updates should be coming more fast and furious now... though not like theloyale's threads, that guy's a machine... and salmon start running in a couple of weeks.

2012-05-08194917.jpg

Edited by tundrabrat

• 2 weeks later...
nice build i wish my 79 was that clean , roughly what did it cost u to have the heads and block tanked and the heads reworked , and did u change your cam duration or lift at all?

Thanks, I just finished welding the rear quater last night and will get pics up this weekend of this week's work.

Engine hot tank, torque grind on the cam (delta cams), heads ported and decked (DeMoss), new heavier spring, valves etc, pistons, rings... I'm into it for about $650.00.

I will be upgrading to a weber kit, bearing and other bits and pieces I figure I will have it compeletly rebuild for around $1,200.00 (since I have to pay shipping for stuff):mad:

I'm doing the body work and mechanical, a friend of mine is shooting it for me and the interior is very clean. I need a new set of tires for my 14"s, the 4" lift (and all that goes into that) and a few odds and ends but my goal is to come in at $3,000.00... of course that doesn't include all the new tools:brow:

Edited by tundrabrat

nice thats not bad at all and what do you mean by (torque grind cams) and you said bigger cams? and ya i have some sheetmetal work to do myself being that last weekend i was rallying a logging road and hit a tree at like 40mph smashed up my brown betty

nice thats not bad at all and what do you mean by (torque grind cams) and you said bigger cams? and ya i have some sheetmetal work to do myself being that last weekend i was rallying a logging road and hit a tree at like 40mph smashed up my brown betty

Not bigger cams... just had mine reground. '85 and newer ea81 cams have more meat on them (hydrolic lifters) so are better candidates for a regrind according to Delta Cams.

Sorry to hear about the tree... 40mph sounds like bad news.

Any pictures of the Cam/Crank layout and the like? Would like to know what the internals of my EA81 look like ;)

Those patches looks great, well done!

No pics yet... probably a couple of weeks before I start reassembling the engine... need to stay focused on body work, trying to have it ready for paint by 2nd week of July at the latest.

Awesome job on those rockers BTW.

Any pictures of the Cam/Crank layout and the like? Would like to know what the internals of my EA81 look like ;)

269549_254174834599745_100000216909175_1254057_3900362_n.jpg

Heres a shot from mine.

Idasho also has a lot of pics in his ea81 build thread he had recently.

Not bigger cams... just had mine reground. '85 and newer ea81 cams have more meat on them (hydrolic lifters) so are better candidates for a regrind according to Delta Cams.

Sorry to hear about the tree... 40mph sounds like bad news.

so have you had this done b4 if so how was the outcome hp and tq wise?

and ya the tree was solid lol:eek: but drove it 85 miles over a pass haha

Thanks Jerry.

Worked in the bed tonight... rust before

2012-06-07202515.jpg

2012-06-07202523.jpg

2012-06-07202530.jpg

After poking and cutting...

2012-06-07220645.jpg

2012-06-07220617.jpg

2012-06-07220630.jpg

Floor was in great shape under the original carpet...

2012-06-07202505.jpg

I will be dropping the gas tank, grinding, cutting more and welding this weekend... more pics to come.

Edited by tundrabrat

Nice job on shaping it, how did you do it?

Lots of time:D. I bent the metal along the bottom edge in order to get the initial shape and then made 4 cuts vertically from the top down (making long narrow triangles) to where the fender well begins the bend (about 3").

Then its just a matter of slowly bending the tabs to create the arc at the top of the wheel well... Trimming as you go.

Once I tacked it into place I welded up the cuts I made and then grinded the crap out of it.

Lot's of test fitting and trimming. I'll post pics of the next panel during the process.

Edited by tundrabrat

^^^great call... Will do!

Can't take credit for that.

Was posted on a former members website about fixes he did to his BRAT.

Scott hasn't posted on here in a long time, and has sold off that BRAT. His website is now gone also.

:(