Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I stay away from "GEN1 2.5l" ? headgasket leak?

I am new to this forum, as i have moved to wyoming I am in need of 4x4 car. looking at consumerreviews.com I see either very happy or very disappointed subaru legacy owners. seems the gen1 2.5l engines have headgasket issues? so question is what year to avoid. the 2.5l legacy GT AWD and would work for me, what do I need to be AWARE of? any problem years? thanks in advance,

kevin walsh

I would stay away from the Phase I 2.5L under any circumstances.

The Phase II seems to suffer from external head gasket leaks.

ON THE OTHER HAND

If you can believe the posts on this board, the Phase II failure rate in Canada is high. It makes sense, the aluminum block and head expand and contract a lot more going from -20F to operating temperature. As it can get pretty freaking cold in Wyoming, you might want to be cautious, even with a Phase II.

FWIW, I don't have a lot of confidence in "head gasket redesigns" as fixes for serious head gasket failure problems. The problem(s), through design or manufacturing, is in the METAL of the block and heads. Look at the specs for a re-build. Gaskets can accomodate only VERY minor surface imperfections. Is it reasonable to believe that some special "magic gasket" can cure a major defect?

I find reports of head gasket failures in MY 2003 cars to be very troubling. I would like to replace my Forester with an other Subaru when the time comes. But, I will not buy another Subaru until this head gasket problem has been solved once and for all.

A free can of "stop leak" is not an acceptable response to this on going saga.

2.5. It does seem that you can cure the late 2.5 and even if you do get a leak an external weep is not that scarey. With the new gaskets I have no problem with mine and gosh subaru is going to give me a whole can of goop free!

Plus the 100,000 mile head gasket warranty would make me feel better on a post 2000 Legacy or 99 up Forester.