Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Needle Still Drifts to Red

Hi Again,

I left a message last week about my '87 turbo wagon's temp gauge staying above center and if the engine was hot and the car was just idling the needle would almost go into the red (hot) zone.

Well I took it to the mechanics. Head gasket is fine, no leaks, no mildew, etc.. He flushed the radiator, put in a new thermostat and pressure tested it.

Everything was fine he said.

I got it back and drove it about 100 miles yesterday, and guess what.

Same symptons, same problems.

I don't want to warp a head but could this just be "normal" for the car to run alittle hot?

Thanks,

M Karns

The gauge's and the sending units are both of questionable reliability. Check your temp with an aftermarket gauge, and see what you find. You may find that it's within normal parameters, and it's just the gauge thats whacked.

Does the fan kick on when it's supposed to? You could get another fan if you have the electric already - or switch to two electric fans if you have the mechanical....

GD

you either have a flow problem( waterpump impelar) or a crappy radiator. I rember you said it was boiling into the resivoir right? well I think you are genuinely overheating. make sure all the air is out of the cooling system too. that will give you problems as well.

If the temp increases with speed on the highway, you likely need to replace the radiator. Typical symptom with all the EA82 cars, especially the turbo--radiator is marginal and when it gets old it can't dissipate the heat fast enough. As your speed goes up, the temp goes up with it. Double row radiator is best for the Turbo.

no cap on resivoir no big deal. not the problem.

air in system. well there are many different ways I have heard. the simplest is to park the car on a up hill grade or jack up the front. and let it cool down. top off any air gap in the radiator and repeat after running if it is still needed.

as for your temp range 220 is about the hottest I would expect to see. thats about to overheat it. 195 to 210 would be better.

When I am trying to make sure there is no air in the cooling system I usually put the front up like what was already suggested but I will put the side with the radiator cap just a little higher because sometimes your air is in the top radiator hose and having it at the same level as the radiator cap sometimes won't get the bubbles out. The cap is where the bubbles will come out so it needs to be the highest point on the car.

Originally posted by speedbump

just to add on to this ,i think the ps pulley has four exposed studs on it ,is there a bolt on fan that could be adapted for the ea82t?

Yes, I believe the factory A/C EA82 cars have a mechanical fan on the water pump.

I’m betting it's a bad radiator, I just replaced mine ('87 GL Wagon), the faster I went the hotter it got. I was surprised how bad it really was, two or three rows at the top and bottom were flowing, the whole center or the core was dead cold. Get the car warmed up then feel up and down the face of the radiator (turn the engine off and be careful, could be hot :P ), if its anything less than hot from top to bottom the rad is plugged.

Gary