Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback fuel filler pipe

So I finally got the pipe from the dealer (annoyed on that part) from Subarupartsforyou.com

Anyways I got that with the 3 screws They are labeled screws for fuel filler top.. Are these the one that replace the screws on the gas inlet? They look different.

IMG_20111019_131024.jpg

IMG_20111019_131042.jpg

IMG_20111019_131054.jpg

I figure I'd do it now it's raining but timing is good since I'm pretty much on a empty tank.

Any tips on removing the hoses?

Is the hose on the evap part hard to remove? I don't think I've seen talk on that part before.

Wow that is beautiful.

Maybe the new screws are a different size and/or thread pitch than the originals, or maybe they just figure they might be rusted out so you get new ones with it.

I haven't done this job yet, but in general for hoses I use grooved channel locks to grab the hose and twist it clockwise and counter clockwise until its death grip on what it is hooked to is loosened. Then usually they will pull off. Of course care is needed because it can damage the hose.

Thats an improvement. I've scrapped cars with good (newer replaced) filler necks because I couldn't get those crappy slotted screws out and wasn't gonna take a chance at blowing up the garage to get jus tone part off the car. And the rubber gasket I spoke off keeps tension on those screws for a few turns.

A bolt head is a definate improvement. I still always anti-seized them.