Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 fan issues.

bridge the terminals at the thermo switch located on the side of the radio near the drain cock. The fan should operate if you jumper the terminals. If so, then the thermoswitch itself is bad. you can wire in a switch at the terminal plug to manually operate. It will operate with the on and acc key position.

It would be the white plug with the two wires going into the back of the fan? I see what looks like the thermostatic controller in the radiator a few inches above the drain, and it has what looks like some very NOT FACTORY connections coming out of it. Is this typical?

It would be the white plug with the two wires going into the back of the fan? I see what looks like the thermostatic controller in the radiator a few inches above the drain, and it has what looks like some very NOT FACTORY connections coming out of it. Is this typical?

the connector will have a yellow and a blue wire. one of the wires has a stripe, maybe white? (trying to think of it) but it shounds like you found it.

people try to hardwaire the fan or do some crazy splices because they don't know this switch just grounds the circuit.

did you jump the pins together...what happened?

I did not have anything on me to jump with yesterday and am already at work for the day so will be testing it this afternoon when I'm done for the day. And just to clarify for myself, you're saying to jump the one terminal on the thermo switch to the other, because internally it has some gizmo that does tue same thing at a certain temperature?

And just to clarify for myself, you're saying to jump the one terminal on the thermo switch to the other, because internally it has some gizmo that does tue same thing at a certain temperature?

Yes, it is a switch that closes at a preset temperature.