Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 fan issues.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

So the cooling fan in my 85 GLW does not ever come on. I'm going to try hooking it directly to power to see if it is burned up, but if its not where should i check next?

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,515 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

bridge the terminals at the thermo switch located on the side of the radio near the drain cock. The fan should operate if you jumper the terminals. If so, then the thermoswitch itself is bad. you can wire in a switch at the terminal plug to manually operate. It will operate with the on and acc key position.

#3 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

It would be the white plug with the two wires going into the back of the fan? I see what looks like the thermostatic controller in the radiator a few inches above the drain, and it has what looks like some very NOT FACTORY connections coming out of it. Is this typical?

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,515 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

It would be the white plug with the two wires going into the back of the fan? I see what looks like the thermostatic controller in the radiator a few inches above the drain, and it has what looks like some very NOT FACTORY connections coming out of it. Is this typical?

the connector will have a yellow and a blue wire. one of the wires has a stripe, maybe white? (trying to think of it) but it shounds like you found it.

people try to hardwaire the fan or do some crazy splices because they don't know this switch just grounds the circuit.

did you jump the pins together...what happened?

#5 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

I did not have anything on me to jump with yesterday and am already at work for the day so will be testing it this afternoon when I'm done for the day. And just to clarify for myself, you're saying to jump the one terminal on the thermo switch to the other, because internally it has some gizmo that does tue same thing at a certain temperature?

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

And just to clarify for myself, you're saying to jump the one terminal on the thermo switch to the other, because internally it has some gizmo that does tue same thing at a certain temperature?

Yes, it is a switch that closes at a preset temperature.

#7 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

So I hooked the fan directly to the battery and got Nada. Looks like ive got a burned up fan. Time to source a new one. Should i go with another factory one or find a largeraftermarket one and mount it using the factory harness?

#8 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

I would go with a factory one.

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

i'd just get a used Subaru fan, they work fine, are so easy you can replace them with your eyes closed, and don't fail often enough to worry about IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users