Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had a 2.2 installed in my 98 OBW, so it is understandable that there would be minor start up problems. Thought I had a radiator leak, but now think the leak is coming from in front of EGR unit, and under the air intake runners on top of the engine. It is not coming from the heater hoses, but I can't see where the leak is. It sure kicks up a cloud of steam when the motor warms up. I don't see any dripping of coolant on the pavement under the car. It presents itself as steam, not fluid spray or drip, and sends the temp gauge to hot in a hurry, even though the motor did not have a chance to get little more then warmed up. I just can't figure out what would cause a coolant leak from that area of the motor. Is there a temp sensor buried under the air intake runner? No bubbles in the rad over flow, so HGs are prolly okay. Any thoughts?

Edited by Rooster2
added more info

There is the engine coolant temp sensor and sensor for the gauge, but those are on the right side sort of below the idle air control valve (IACV).

There are a couple coolant hoses under there. I think one goes into the IACV and then it travels into the throttle body and then from another hose to the coolant return. If those are ruptured maybe it is leaking there.

coolanthose1.jpg

coolanthose2.jpg

coolant-flow-diagram.gif

ects1a.jpg

Check the bypass water pipe from the pump.

It lays right on top of driver side block.

There is a T that goes to the TB before continuing.

I had three pin holes in mine an I swore it was a HG for it only showed up after the wife had water pump failure and overheated on a 50 mile drive back home.

About $40-$50 at the dealer.

O.

How does the car run? The IACV does have a gasket that may be leaking. If the valve has been replaced by the PO not all the bolts may have been replaced. They are a real PITA to replace, heck even I left one off as there was just no way (me personally) could get it on, and *SHOCK* the person who replaced it with the PO did the same thing.

Edited by nipper

the cross over pipe has 4 places it can leak.

1. upper rad hose connection passenger side front, low chance, on the left end of the pipe in the pic.

2. o-ring, cross over pipe to passenger side block, pretty good chance #6 in pic below .

3. o-ring, cross over pipe to driver side block, pretty good chance #6 in pic below.

4. hose connection on the rear driver side it may be a heater hose connection, i can't remember. the cast aluminum to steel pipe joint maybe could leak, it's on the right end of the pipe in the pic..

pic of cross over pipe.

366494903601.png

replacing the o-rings is not expensive, but you have to remove the intake to get to it. so it is some work, but not engine pulling or head removing work.

Thanks for all the advise. I am sure you guys have pointed out my problem.

Since the 2.2 was just installed a couple of days ago, I had the car towed back to the shop today that did the work. I paid him good money for the installation, so I am sure he will straighten out the problem.

• 8 years later...
16 hours ago, old sub freak said:

hello, John...The picture number 6 isn't showing ..i know it been 9 years haha.. but i am looking at the same problem on my daughters 2.2 imprezza...any way to post it ? thank you ,Todd

Coolant crossover orings

hoses and sensors should be double checked first too, good chance you’re just missing one of those.  But if it’s really hard to locate then crossover pipe coolant orings are likely. 

my bet is on the bypass tube that runs from down by the thermostat up and across the top of block to drivers side rear, and has that small tube that T's off to the throttle body.. have had to change that thing on two different cars! One an Ej22 Legacy, the other on my 02 Forester EJ251

Pain in the rump when it is cold out - and of course they never seem to fail when it is warm - oh no, that would be too easy.