Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Diff Front oil seal questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

So Ive got a leaker.

The front oil seal on the rear diff is loosing gear oil. Just enough to worry me, and to splash gear oil onto the exhaust pipe.

Makes for a wonderful odor:D

Question though. My shop manual doesnt cover replacement of this seal. I have the exploded diagram, but no info.

Does this pinion use a "self locking" one-time-use nut, and what torque values must it be set to on reassembly?

Thanks for any help!

#2 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Any help here?

I did find the seal. Dealer had one in stock, $16 :burnout:

#3 coxy

coxy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

The real issue is not the locknut but does it use a fixed spacer and shims or a collapsable spacer for the pinion shaft bearings if the latter it can be an issue when you undo and retighten the nut.
Red loctite or the equivalent permatex product can allow reuse of such nuts if needed.

#4 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the response!

According to my shop manual it uses fixed spacers and shims.

So if I mark the location of the nut prior to removal, and lock9tite it back in the same location after replacing the seal everything should be good to go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users