Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Teardrop Spotlight Install on A-Post...I know I am crazy...Reccomendations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:17 PM

Alright, I know this may sound crazy, however I would like to install a Unity Spotlight on my A-Post. These are those teardrop spotlights you normally see on police cars on the drivers side.

I want to Install one on my 93 Legacy Wagon :banana:

I have the automatic shoulder belts, however I think if I mount it low enough on the A-Post, it should clear them. Anyone else forsee anything I should look out for? Has anyone ever attempted something like this?:brow:

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

buy an old cop car at auction? You are slowly making one.
I don't see why you could not do that if you want to go to the trouble.
There used to be some boat spotlights that might be easier to fit there though. Do you have a West Marine type store handy?

#3 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

I know I am crazy, that has been established a long time ago. And why buy a cop car when I have a subie wagon? Hehe, I like turning heads.

Anyways, does anyone know of any wiring in the A-Post on the drivers side that I should be worried about? I know I need to mount it below the actuall track for the auto seatbelt, however anything else other than that?

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

Why go through all the trouble when you can get portable ones for a fraction of the cost, and they are more portable and won't snap off in the woods when you hit it with tree limbs like a permanantly mounted one would.

#5 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:31 AM

It will weaken your A-post so it won't be as strong in a roll-over in the woods.

#6 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:25 AM

Good good point...:rolleyes:

I guess I will try to stay out of the woods considering the car is not 4WD, not lifted, and not planning on doing any intense off roading.

I guess I will find out if there is any wiring in there I should worry about!

#7 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:36 AM

but how about drilling a small hole and looking? Just through the first layer of metal?
I also think it may weaken the car in a rollover, but waht the heck my other car is a Roadster. (with roll bar).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users