Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 legacy gt installing engine need help!!!

Ok this is my first ever engine pull that I had to do to replace the head gaskets, I am in no means a mechanic but I am always up for a challenge. I have the engine all put back together and I am trying to get it put back in but Im not sure if i need to do reseat the torque converter or what that even means. When I pulled the engine the TC came out a little bit, not all the way but probably 3 or 4 inches. Do I need to do anything before I go any further with this project or can I just try and get the engine in place and bolt everything on? Also, should I bolt the engine mounts to the engine before installing or bolt on the mounts to the frame and lower the engine on them?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

If the TC pulled out that far you may need to re-seat the spring clip that holds the tube shaft in place.

The reason the torque converter needs to be seated properly is it drives the transmission oil pump. To do this it has some notches in the end of the torque converter shaft that have to line up with the teeth on the pump. If they don't mesh together the torque converter will jam the pump drive when the engine is bolted back to the transmission. The first time the engine is started it will grenade the trans oil pump.

I seem to remember there being a thread here with a video on Youtube of how to do it properly in a Subaru.

Bolt motor mounts to the engine before putting it in the car.

Edit: Here's a thread with some pics at least. The ones at the top don't work anymore, but there are new pics towards the end of the thread. http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81925&highlight=Seating+torque+converter

Edited by Fairtax4me

the 4 tabs the flex bolts thread into.

the distance (i told you to measure) on the trans side needs to be less than the distance on the engine side. that way there will be a slight gap between the torque converter and the flex plate when you bolt the engine to the trans. this makes sure the Torque Converter is seated right.

if the distance on the trans side is greater, the trans internal oil pump will be damaged when you bolt it together. this is bad. and expensive.