Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is not directly sub related. I've decided to invest in a torque to use on my sub since most of the threads mention about getting the right torque on the bolts. I've seen the craftsman ones going for about $60 for the regular ones and $80+ for the 'digital' ones. HOw reliable are they and how long before they would have to be recalibrated?

Thank you for the help.

danz75

i've got one of the regular craftsman 3/8" ones (not the digital). i've been pleased with it, and use it for everything. i think accuracy isn't everything - when torquing down things like head bolts, it is more important for them to all be the same - it doesn't matter if they are off a few ft-lbs from the spec, as long as the pressure is even.

it is also rumored that sears will recalibrate them for free, though i haven't taken them up on it. also be careful with them. you never want to use them to break a bolt free, or drop them. that will screw up their calibration...

I own Husky and Craftsman click-type torque wrenches. They're not terribly expensive, and "good (accurate) enough for government work". As another poster mentioned, in most cases, precision is more important than accuracy.

I'm nothing more than a "shade tree" mechanic, but I _always_ use a torque wrench when installing spark plugs and tightening lug nuts. The wrenches are _much_ cheaper than replacement brake rotors and cylinder heads. :)

Thanks for all the info so far. I usually do most parts replacement(haven't tried anything with the engine or transmission yet) myself since it's always so expensive to have a mech do them. I've always just tightened them by feel and I'm lucky that in my few years of working on cars, I haven't had the warped rotor due to uneven tightening of bolts but after reading about the countless number of threads about the importance of tightening the bolts to the same pressure, I figured that it would probably be a wise investment to get myself a torque wrench. I haven't had to do the HG or anything close to that yet but I'm slowly building up my inventory of tools and knowledge so that when the time comes, I will be prepared.

Danz75:drunk: