Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axial Play in Front Outer CV Joint

1999 Forester, 170K miles

I just installed a rebooted OEM halfshaft on the front right side. I'd like to reboot the one that came to have it ready when the other side goes again, but there's a little axial play in the outer joint. I don't think this is normal or is it?

After further inspection, I decided that it was still good. The play I noticed is just some clearance between the circlip and the groove into which it seats. Otherwise, the joint felt tight. I rebooted it with new grease so it's ready to go when I need it.

I have a rotation of 3 front half shafts. Rebooting is such a messy ordeal that having a third one ready to go makes replacement much more pleasant. Rotating them will also extend their service life. If you don't drive with a torn boot for too long, I'd guess that these NTN units should last the life of the car.

I know some Porsche guys who regularly reboot, regrease, and rotate the rear half shafts every 2 o 3 years.

For those interested, here's a little service history:

- 6 years/90K miles: While my wife had the car in VT, an independent shop replaced the front right unit due to a torn inner boot. Knowing the varying quality of rebuilt units, I was a little upset that I wasn't around to salvage the original half shaft.

- 7 years/107K miles: I rebooted an OEM unit I purchased on Ebay, and installed it on the front left side, again due to a torn inner boot.

- 170K miles: The rebuilt front right unit installed at 90K miles hadn't torn open after 7 years/80K miles of service, but I'll say that it was certainly on the verge. Both boots showed cracking between the pleats, particularly the outer boot. Still, not bad for a rebuilt unit. I just rotated in the rebooted original unit that I had saved from the left side.