Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Axial Play in Front Outer CV Joint

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

1999 Forester, 170K miles

I just installed a rebooted OEM halfshaft on the front right side. I'd like to reboot the one that came to have it ready when the other side goes again, but there's a little axial play in the outer joint. I don't think this is normal or is it?

#2 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

After further inspection, I decided that it was still good. The play I noticed is just some clearance between the circlip and the groove into which it seats. Otherwise, the joint felt tight. I rebooted it with new grease so it's ready to go when I need it.

I have a rotation of 3 front half shafts. Rebooting is such a messy ordeal that having a third one ready to go makes replacement much more pleasant. Rotating them will also extend their service life. If you don't drive with a torn boot for too long, I'd guess that these NTN units should last the life of the car.

I know some Porsche guys who regularly reboot, regrease, and rotate the rear half shafts every 2 o 3 years.

For those interested, here's a little service history:
- 6 years/90K miles: While my wife had the car in VT, an independent shop replaced the front right unit due to a torn inner boot. Knowing the varying quality of rebuilt units, I was a little upset that I wasn't around to salvage the original half shaft.
- 7 years/107K miles: I rebooted an OEM unit I purchased on Ebay, and installed it on the front left side, again due to a torn inner boot.
- 170K miles: The rebuilt front right unit installed at 90K miles hadn't torn open after 7 years/80K miles of service, but I'll say that it was certainly on the verge. Both boots showed cracking between the pleats, particularly the outer boot. Still, not bad for a rebuilt unit. I just rotated in the rebooted original unit that I had saved from the left side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users