Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Awesome Older Generation Picture Thread

I was under the impression that the Cams were gear driven? I haven't taken my engine apart yet lol.. That comes later ;)

There is a gear inbetween the crankshaft and camshaft, the crankshaft turns the gear which in turn; turns the camshaft. The camshaft pushes lifters which push the "pushrods"; which operate the rockerarms; controlling the valves.

Edited by 6 Star
got the lifters and pushrods backwards. xD

There is a gear inbetween the crankshaft and camshaft, the crankshaft turns the gear which in turn; turns the gear; turns the camshaft. The camshaft pushes "pushrods" which push the lifters; which operate the rockerarms; controlling the valves.

Yes, that is what I am talking about.

Just like the old Landcruiser motors.

WAIT! so ea81's are not ohc? and i know that ea82's are, so witch one of the two motors makes more power/torque/is cheaper to maintain?

They are ohv. The ea82s make more power and torque, the ea81 is cheaper to maintain.

:banana:DSC02620.jpg

That yours? :slobber:

WAIT! so ea81's are not ohc? and i know that ea82's are, so witch one of the two motors makes more power/torque/is cheaper to maintain?

Yes, EA81s are OHV with Pushrods. They probably make about the same power/torque being that they are both 1781cc motors.

I personally think either motor is easy and cheap to maintain. Getting the correct parts for an EA81 is tuff sometimes (Just getting to old)

There is a gear inbetween the crankshaft and camshaft, the crankshaft turns the gear which in turn; turns the camshaft. The camshaft pushes lifters which push the "pushrods"; which operate the rockerarms; controlling the valves.

No. There are two gears. One on the crank, and one on the cam. It's directly driven off the crank, and therefor, turns the opposite direction.

Stolen from Idasho's rebuild thread:

ea36.jpg

The crank gear is hiding behind the flywheel mounting flange.

Edited by 987687

No. There are two gears. One on the crank, and one on the cam. It's directly driven off the crank, and therefor, turns the opposite direction.

Stolen from Idasho's rebuild thread:

ea36.jpg

The crank gear is hiding behind the flywheel mounting flange.

there is a better pic on that thread that illustrates the idea more clearly, but thats funny cause i thought about this post as well when i looked at idasho's thread.

No. There are two gears. One on the crank, and one on the cam.

Lol know how you learn something new every day? Guess I forget some things every day. :-p

Being that I didn't have a photo on hand at the time I was just going off of memory.

I've taken these things apart numerous times.

Heres a link to the ea81 I refurbished in my Brat (post 54):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125967&page=6

Edited by 6 Star

Loyale2.7Turbo, some of them have indeed come from your thread, but that is because they are so cool they have to be shared more. :) I think the ratio of pictures not from that thread to pictures from that thread is pretty great though.

Wish I had a welder. :(

420414_405503676133526_100000216909175_1811070_279824820_n.jpg

Loyale 2.7 Turbo, some of them have indeed come from your thread, but that is because they are so cool they have to be shared more. :) ...

Well, I Agree... :D ...No Problem!

Here is Another Honduran Nice Subaru:

I Took this Picture with my Cellphone, The Subaru Loyale Wagon was Parked at the Shoppin' Mall's Supermarket; it Sits on 17" Tires...

IMG0350A.jpg

...That Subaru Belongs to Andres... here is his "CarDomain" Web Link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3867148/1985-subaru-dl

More Pictures:

38671480001_large.jpg

38671480006_large.jpg

I'll Try to Contact him and invite here to Join us...

Kind Regards.