Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of intercooler, and question on how to find leaks

So I finally finished the intercooler install with home made carbon fiber pipeing.

Check if out

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/subi81@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

but of coarse there is a leak, frankly I am surprised that it even started.

Anyways the car idles fine 19 20 vaccum. But when I boost I get a really cool whisleing noise that I have a feeling is a leak. There is only about 1 psi loss in boost pressure.

So how do I find a boost leak? Windex, a friend sitting on the engine listening, something else.

well if thers a boost leak there may be a vac. leak at idle as well. this depends on where its leaking of course. you have double checked all your hose connections I assume and they are all good and tight.

I had made my inital IC piping out of some ghetto PVC and another plumbing fitting. after the IC set up was proven I welded up a stainless mandrel bent piece to the throttle body and a regular steel reducer to the turbo. all silicone hoses as well.

carbon fiber is a bit dificult to work with as you may know now. I hate to say it but that may be where the problem lies.

try propane to find the leak at idle. listen for a change in rpm/smoothness.

First off,

Cost, about $200 not includeing the intercooler.

heres a breakdown:

carbon fiber and resin from here

http://www.shopmaninc.com/polyesters.html

the resin I purchased is formulated for high heat. SM-700025 1 Quart 11.95 and the carbon fiber was seconds, FG-CF10725 25" Width 19.00/running yard I got 3 yards of it

Then I needed the styrophome for the cores and some pariffin wax for the outer layer of the core, the vinyl ester was eating my syrophome, so the wax protected it. got some acatone to melt out the styrophome.

Rallyruss I think that you might be on to something. after all my planning and carefull layup I only got one end to come out as a perfict circle. I now have a new apprieciation for any and all glasswork.

Dr. RX, correct as usuall, the IC is out of an Audi 5000.

Thanks for the input.

Hopefully I can get to it this weekend

• 2 years later...

IF I may make a suggestion, DEFINATELY use a tach. It is almost impossable to hear 50 rpm, but on a tune-up tach that goes to 1500 rpm, it is evident! It "may" be dangerous, I've never had a problem with it, but on small, hard to find leaks, I use Eether, it gives you the most rpm change of anything.

If you have the equip, try using 5-10 lb air press, and dish soap/water mix. everything will be clean when you rinse it off too. SO, HOW MUCH DO IC'S RUN, & FROM WHOM? I NEED ONE FOR MY TRUCK! thanks

SO, HOW MUCH DO IC'S RUN, & FROM WHOM? I NEED ONE FOR MY TRUCK! thanks

Depends on what you want, where you want to get it and how much you want to pay. May try a turbo truck forum for your application... And its not nice to yell.;)

Before they lock it!!:horse:

Ok you can lock it now