Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 swap

boggy

Hi chaps ive found an ea82 engine 100000 miles newer than my ea81 engine in my brat what i need to know is what parts will and wont fit and what i will need to fabricate there is very few old spares and cars over here main points are will the headers from the ea81 fit and also engine mounts and gearbox/clutch compatibility gheers Boggy:banghead:

The motor will fit and the bellhousing and engine mounts will fit. swap the pitch bar bracket from the ea81 to the ea82.

there will be some clearance issues with the disty and the brake master cylinder.

install the motor first, then the disty.

you may have to remove hill holder.

you may have to clock the disty differently and possibly cut off one of the mounting tabs.

the front of the engine will clear better if you remove the outer timing belt covers.

are you using the ea81 or ea82 intake?

use the ea82 intake as it is a direct fit, and most of the solenoids can be wired in so long as the ea81 has the carb computer on board. or just do a weber. a 5spd swap would appreciate the power curve of the ea82 better than the 4spd. Modification is minimal, and you use the ea82 driveshaft by making a carrier bearing mount.