Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why is my battery so dead

So my car wasnt fireing up and I changed my distributor, cap, rotr, plugs, wires, and coil all this weekend. I go to start it up after im all done and it cranks over but then slowly dies after about ten seconds. I put it on a charger for a couple hours and even more dead than before. I check the connection and it seems fine. A few hours later try it again and still totally dead WTF. Is there anything I couldve done to cause eomething to be draining power that fast. Thanks

I don't think you caused any kind of trouble from what you say you did. It sounds to me that the battery has a problem. If you haven't cleaned the battery connections using a battery post cleaning brush I suggest you do that. If you can't get the battery charged like it should be you will need to purchase a new battery.

If the wiring checks out you can have the battery tested at most auto part stores. It may have just died though.

That happened to my legacy without warning. It was a cold morning, but it cranked over and started up just fine. Didn't crank slow or anything, no failure warning.

Got in my car to get lunch and the remote unlock didn't work... Battery totally dead. I worked at a garage so I got a booster pack, upon plugging it in I got a huge spark like I directly shorted out the leads. My battery just plain shorted out and died while sitting there. Threw in a new battery and got lunch... but weird.

It's more common than you think. Once every week or two we'd get a car because it was fine then failed to start, battery either completely or partially shorted out.

Ok well the battery is fine ( its only a little over a year old). I cleaned it up a lil and it turned right over and over ..... so I moved the distributor back and forth to try to get it lined up better and its so close to fireing up, but I got a friend comin over tomorrow with a timing light to get the timing correct and hopefully it start ok.

I had the old wires on and my new ones came in tonight so i picked them up and went to put them on and they are too short for 1 & 3 and to the coil. The same thing happened a year and a half ago when I bought NGK plugs and they are numbered wrong too. Has anyone else had trouble with NGK plug lenghts and if so what are the right ones for my 83 coupe EA-81.

Edited by subinewby