Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 subaru turbo GL, EJ22 and 4" lift, plus 6lug swap build!

Prwa101

okay so i picked me up a 88 subaru turbo gl the other day for 260$ (no motor), got my ej22 and harness stripped just waiting on a couple of things for start putting her togeather (money included) haha. pretty much just need the xt6 clutch, addplate and fans :clap: pretty stoked to build my monster subi!!!

298380_2233265990172_1203579286_32058954_1801580952_n.jpg

has 180k on it not bad for a little car work for my girlfriends parents impreza.

320138_2094628604324_1203579286_31960707_686585628_n.jpg

Three and half days of streight harness stripping, not bad for a noob.

313682_2136006638749_1203579286_31992272_528148147_n.jpg

my 235/75/R15s for the 6 lug swap

308413_2172577552999_1203579286_32021889_1451683429_n.jpg

the ej22 should fit right up with the cross member bolts right? looks the same as my 90 loyale and thous fit right up.

it being a turbo dosnt change much does it?

i am open to any advice from anyone! :burnout:

thanks!

-Prwa

Edited by Prwa101

in the write up, "Use the EJ motor mounts, and widen the mounting holes in the crossmember slightly, somewhere between 1/4" to 1/2" on either side. A Dremel or similar rotary tool with a grinding stone works great for this.

EA82 crossmember accepts the motor mount holes without widening (round EJ mounts) EJ mounts may have a centering nipple that needs to be ground off as there is no receiving hole in the EA crossmember as there is in the EJ crossmember. 3"""

and i think mine is an ea82, theres no block to see what it is, but looks like surfing the web that it is a ea82T.

Prwa

if its an ea82, which i would assume it is. since its an 88 turbo, you dont have to do the holes wider from my experience, i didnt have to do anything to the crossmember in my 92. i think thats for ea81 only that you need to adjust the holes.

**info based on the Subaru EA Wiki page. showing ea81t only up thru 84

Edited by xbeerd

if its an ea82, which i would assume it is. since its an 88 turbo, you dont have to do the holes wider from my experience, i didnt have to do anything to the crossmember in my 92. i think thats for ea81 only that you need to adjust the holes.

**info based on the Subaru EA Wiki page. showing ea81t only up thru 84

Yup, that's where I saw it too! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of motor mounts for your EJ swap, it might be a good time to make shims described in post #9.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72902&highlight=EJ+swap+motor+mounts

Some people have problems with the mounts splitting, others do not seem to have the issue.

My motor mounts lasted about 1/2 tank of gas before they split and the motor was jumping all over the place.

Speaking of motor mounts for your EJ swap, it might be a good time to make shims described in post #9.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72902&highlight=EJ+swap+motor+mounts

Some people have problems with the mounts splitting, others do not seem to have the issue.

My motor mounts lasted about 1/2 tank of gas before they split and the motor was jumping all over the place.

That's a very good point, and this is the first I've heard it it. Hmm so could swapping the crossmember on my GL to the legacy fix this? If its possible to do so?

And sounds like its kinda a hit and miss thing that happens.

Did you install a proper dogbone (pitch stopper)

The engine will rock around all over, and eventually break the mounts without a good solid pitch stopper. It also improves shifting since the rump roast of the trans won't be tipping up and down under Ac/Decelaration.

• 1 month later...

403666_2659282840327_1203579286_32257717_1981371390_n.jpg

well got my 3" crossmember spacers in and painted (did that after the photo was taked) , just didnt have time to put it up,

got those in and the tranny mounts spacers, (forgot to take a photo of those) lol

and now working on the back lift, got my 4" rear strut lift from poobaru for 25$ thanks man! not bad for garage junk haha

and just orderd the rear diff drop from sjr! thanks for having an awesome business!

more coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uhh..... you've turned the triangulation into a parrallelogram.

You may experience some rocking forward and aft from the diff. Might not matter, but worst case could pull you're driveline out of the back of the trans.

You may want to rethink that mount. I'd put a spacer between the diff and the hanger instead. and only an inch. no need to drop th e front of the diff down as much as the rear. that keeps it more of a triangle.

Edited by Gloyale

Uhh..... you've turned the triangulation into a parrallelogram.

You may experience some rocking forward and aft from the diff. Might not matter, but worst case could pull you're driveline out of the back of the trans.

You may want to rethink that mount. I'd put a spacer between the diff and the hanger instead. and only an inch. no need to drop th e front of the diff down as much as the rear. that keeps it more of a triangle.

Well darn... Considering I already installed it.. I thought I was copying sjrs, with the tubes and longer bolts, but now that I look at it th tubes arnt 3"..... They look to be 1.5" or 2? Does that sound right?

I was going to do that but, I thought I'd try something new, and didn't want to spend anymore $$ on those long bolts when I could just tack weld some metal in on my Spare time.

I'll go and look at the driveline and see how catywompis it is.

Well darn... Considering I already installed it.. I thought I was copying sjrs, with the tubes and longer bolts, but now that I look at it th tubes arnt 3"..... They look to be 1.5" or 2? Does that sound right?

I was going to do that but, I thought I'd try something new, and didn't want to spend anymore $$ on those long bolts when I could just tack weld some metal in on my Spare time.

I'll go and look at the driveline and see how catywompis it is.

I run 2" at the front or rear diff and 3" at the rear

well looks like im going to make my ej addaptor plate, went into the metals shop and turns out theres a lot of 1/2" steel plates in there. plazma cutter here i come! :Flame:

------ resent..... plasma cutter broken......

anyone know where i can get a ej adaptor plate for about 100$???

Edited by Prwa101

• 1 month later...

Well made a bit of head way in the past weeks. Got the add plate from sjr, lift completed, and starting to look at cutting the wires out of the car to fit the harness through the fire wall. :burnout:

306620_3153850964221_1203579286_32445075_257460554_n.jpg?dl=1

Does this stuff need to go? I think it's the igniter, but not sure.

319769_3153850404207_1203579286_32445074_499452492_n.jpg?dl=1

Well made a bit of head way in the past weeks. Got the add plate from sjr, lift completed, and starting to look at cutting the wires out of the car to fit the harness through the fire wall. :burnout:

306620_3153850964221_1203579286_32445075_257460554_n.jpg?dl=1

Does this stuff need to go? I think it's the igniter, but not sure.

319769_3153850404207_1203579286_32445074_499452492_n.jpg?dl=1

that's not the igniter.

It's the boost solenoid, and the dropping resistor for the EA82 injectors. It can go.

Although, I would advise not to cut alot of wires out of your EA harness. You should be able to fit the EJ harness in without cutting "out" any of the EA bundle.

that's not the igniter.

It's the boost solenoid, and the dropping resistor for the EA82 injectors. It can go.

Although, I would advise not to cut alot of wires out of your EA harness. You should be able to fit the EJ harness in without cutting "out" any of the EA bundle.

Thanks! Okay I wont cut anything out, I'd rather be safe than sorry and I understand why you say that. Could end up cutting a wire that goes to something that shouldn't have been cut.

The ej harness will fit through the hole under the fender fire wall, sweet saves me time!

Thanks Gloyale!