Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado Component Rebuilders Experience

jwischer

I recently had an awful experience with my EA82 at Colorado Component Rebuilders of Commerce City, Colorado. This included poor workmanship, work not done, used parts, wrong parts, and significant dishonesty for both the original "rebuild" and subsequent abortive "warranty" non-service. Only a promise to go to the Commerce City Police resulted in a full refund. I strongly recommend you find a reputable local shop or get a referral from someone with a good experience. I found a great shop in my home town if you're interested. This was by far my worst experience as a consumer.

Crank was turned/ground .010 but std. bearings put in. (When torn-down later in my local shop the owner said "the crank's flopping around in there like a stick in a barrel"). Would not build oil pressure. Removed and took back to CCR for warranty. Decided to pay more $ for new heads (6 left in US) anticipating tear-down to find oil pressure problem. Got engine back with explanation of bad seal in oil pump. Then noticed original heads still on, meaning engine never actually torn-down. Got very upset and CCR shipped heads same day and promised to pay my local shop to complete warranty repair. Then local shop tore-down engine and found loose crank as oil pressure problem but also used pistons and other work not done or poorly done. Commerce City police agreed to possible criminal activity but suggested I ask for refund- CCR agreed to refund rather than a visit from the police. There are a few more details but that's most of it. Neat, huh?!

I rarely respond to criticisms and complaints on this, or any other, board because any business is going to have some complaints and I look at it as being a part (although an unpleasant part) of doing business. This one I am going to respond to however because of half-truths and downright lies which I am sure he wholeheartedly believes.

Jeff leaves out that he demanded we re-use his oil pump initially because it was low mileage. He got a new, Subaru Genuine pump when he returned the engine to us, as he would have from the beginning if he had not demanded his original oil pump back.

While we don't like it, it is possible that the crank might have had bearings it shouldn't have. Our crank grinding vendor usually stamps them: we have found a couple that were either not stamped at all or stamped incorrectly. We do not want to use cranks that will not turn .10/.10. The bearings were definitely .25 NDC bearings. We have communicated our displeasure to them and are hopeful this will never happen again.

Jeff assumes the engine was not torn down because the new heads were not put on it, in error. Rick admitted to this as his personal error and offered to pay the other shop to do the work.

Two of the pistons were brand new, two were good used, within Subaru specs. These pistons are simply not available anymore except a very few of the right side ones because they were the ones which were most frequently damaged.

His threats of calling the police had nothing whatsoever with our decision to give this man his money and get him out of our hair. This was not a criminal matter, it was civil and they would not have done anything anyway unless he took us to court.

I'm sorry: I've been a member of this board for something like 15 years and have many friends here. I don't usually take these kind of posts personally, but this time I am. For those of you who also own shops, you know what I mean.

This OCD customer came in with unusual demands, my secretary got to where she positively refused to talk to him in any way, he would call as many as 5 times in a day, talk for 45 minutes, and change his mind about this or that. I listened, took notes, and we tried to make him happy. We did make a mistake, possibly two, but we tried to make it right, only to have him call me, and Rick, liars, thieves, cheats, dishonest, incompetent, etc.

It was worth the refund to not to ever have to deal with him again! His words were "you pay me this and you'll never hear from me again." Right: posting like this IS hearing from him again and is dangerously close to libel.

We haven't been in business 17 years and have the A+ BBB rating we have by being sloppy and dishonest liars. We sincerely hope Jeff's engine is all good now and that he and his Subaru will live happily ever after. Without us.

Edited by ccrinc

I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries here by contributing an unbiased opinion on the matter.

I find it really REALLY hard to swallow that a professional engine service doesn't mike their cranks before install to make sure the correct bearings are in place. I understand that things get lost in translation, but to me, that seems VERY sloppy. If I was in the market, your admission of incorrect main bearings would immediately send me to someone else for an engine. Regardless of what the machinist failed to communicate, that seems to be something you should just do before install.

As far as the other stuff, meh, we won't get the whole story and a lot of it is moot.

Pistons are pistons as long as they're round, in spec, and all had new rings.

As an engine builder, you should have told him that you'll be using a new oil pump or not building him an engine; only way you can verify quality of the product going out to the customer.

On the other hand, Jwischer's attitude in his postings seems to solidify CCR's story that he had a really bad attitude in dealing with the situation. Not to say that I would have been sunshine and lollipops when my "new" engine turned out to be a lemon, but attitude is everything.

I bought a 2.5 DOHC from CCR.

I asked two questions of Emily.

1. will this rebuilt engine have piston noise after 35K miles..

Emily answer " NO, our motors don't have the piston noise on start up problem...

LIE # 1 sounded like a diesel on start up at 35K miles.

2. will this new motor have head gasket problems.

Emily answer "NO our engines are made to a better standard.

LIE # 2 blown head gasket at 120K miles.

Buyers beware.

She lied to me so I would buy one of their CRAPPY motors.

They wouldn't even return any of my calls when I was having problems.

I bought a 2.5 DOHC from CCR.

I asked two questions of Emily.

1. will this rebuilt engine have piston noise after 35K miles..

Emily answer " NO, our motors don't have the piston noise on start up problem...

LIE # 1 sounded like a diesel on start up at 35K miles.

2. will this new motor have head gasket problems.

Emily answer "NO our engines are made to a better standard.

LIE # 2 blown head gasket at 120K miles.

Buyers beware.

She lied to me so I would buy one of their CRAPPY motors.

They wouldn't even return any of my calls when I was having problems.

Kind of harsh and I wonder how you maintained this engine and where did you come up with this "magical" number of 35K? Wondering if you ran straight 40wt. oil in the winter, ran all winter with the radiator covered with a sheet of cardboard, ever changed any of the filters or lived 20 miles out of town down a dirt road. Lots of reasons an engine will fail. Often it is the operator's fault. Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

this will be my final comment(s). I was polite and cordial throughout the whole process. Here are some facts:

I'm picking the engine up today. My shop says I got FOUR used pistons. See how this goes?

My oil pump was like new, and I wanted it back as a spare. When I mentioned it they said they put gaskets & seals in them. This was a "goof" I guess, since newer pumps are re-buildable but EA82's get new ones. So my "demand" was just a request that they be sure to use mine, which they did. Later during the "warranty" process this came to light and I asked for the new pump I had paid for, which I got.

So, in summary: EA82 rebuilt without new oil pump as result of "misunderstanding" (?). No/low oil pressure on start-up. Returned for warranty diagnosis?repair with request for upgrade to new heads for more $. Got it back with new oil pump but original heads- raising ? of what they actually did. CCR agreed to pay my shop to complete the "warranty" work. My shop found ground crank with standard bearings, used pistons et al. CCR gave complete refund.

No, Emily, I kept my word- you won't hear from me again. This part is my civic duty, as it were.

I think they did good work in the past. The "Net" suggests my experience was not unique. Caveat emptor...