Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well travelled-all the way from Oz to UK

Hi all

Not been on for a while,beena bit busy with other things but now have more time to play with scoobs.

Always wanted a Gen 1 wagon,originally started the search in the US but after loads of false leads i started to look elsewhere.....

One night trawling ebay.com.au....

KGrHqFg0E3umBSOBBOHqL26V2g_12.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

A few bids and long distance calls later it was on its way to me in a container :D

First sighting at southampton docks..

IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

Got it home,had a poke around and its all solid apart from around the rear window..easily sorted so well chuffed there.

IMAG0533.jpg

Chucked a battery on it,replaced the ignition barrel with one i had as there were no keys with it and off it went 2nd turn of the key....sounded great! but then..

IMAG0544.jpg

Hmm,quick check of oil filler reveals this

IMAG0554.jpg

Bit poorly....

Engine out

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

Cleaned up...

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

And replaced

IMAG0618.jpg

Brakes have also had an overhaul,now to tackle the interior and take it for an mot.

IMAG0578.jpg

Also have this that ive recently finished,it was fairly rotten but all back together now.

300622_10150406413664553_583839552_9912896_2050216255_n.jpg

looks good! jealous of the A bar,i want one lol

slight mojo loss on mine today after refitting the engine its running beautifully but blowing water out the rad overflow so still getting pressure in the water somewhere......pish.....

i just did head gaskets on mine and its comming out the over flow to open the rad cap while its hot is it foamy? if so then yes your still getting compression in the system if not its just normal overflow my datsun did the same thing installed a overflow bottle never had another problem same is gonna hapen to my wagon these things really need that overflow bottle

edit judging by that hood im willing to bet that some rubbing compound and elbow grease will bring that paint back

It seems the problem was the rad cap,the spring was bent over to one side so it wasnt sealing properly,had it running for half an hour with no problems, till it decided to spring a leak on one of the heater hoses,its the old cloth covered hose tho and does look knackered.

Will see how it performs on a drive,lots of hills round here so itll get a good test.

Ive tried a bit of rubbing compound on the wing and the bonnet,has made it a bit better but the paint is so thin you can see primer in places :S

Just a rag,wasnt even rubbing that hard,think its justgone from years in the sun.will be ok with a wax i think but i wouldnt want to use anything too rough on it.

Will prob get a respray at some point,keep having thoughts of either dark brown or yellow with 70's us style side stripes a bit like yours ;D

They certainly are :D

I also have this hanging around,ive had it for about 5 years now.

As it arrived:

scoob2.jpg

As it is now:

30082010424.jpg

Is all pretty much ready for a respray,found it in a lockup under a block of council flats up the other end of the country where it had been sitting for ten years.

what you guys think?

The coupes gonna get some attention soon,its been a while since its had any lol,want to get running gear out,get it sprayed up (pale blue) maybe lowered a bit on some jdm style alloys pop on some fender mirrors and thatll probably do it :-p

At the moment its running a 2wd manual shift 5 speeder with the standard 1600 lump,only done 40k miles from new,have all paperwork to back it up.

It came out of a later leone saloon by all accounts.

Would like to upgrade at least one of mine to be able to keep up with modern traffic,have a mate with an ej20 turbo brat conversion but to be honest i dont need that much power,maybe a standard 2.0 with carb conversion?

trouble is,which one do i do it to!? :brow:

Would like to upgrade at least one of mine to be able to keep up with modern traffic,have a mate with an ej20 turbo brat conversion but to be honest i dont need that much power

Yes, yes you do.

Just think of how insane it would be... "Oh hi there, nice STI... GOODBYE!" *zoom*

You must do this, I've been wanting to see it for awhile, especially since I could never tackle that kind of project myself.

Yes, yes you do.

Just think of how insane it would be... "Oh hi there, nice STI... GOODBYE!" *zoom*

You must do this, I've been wanting to see it for awhile, especially since I could never tackle that kind of project myself.

do this to the coupe

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway,turns out that in typical subaru fashion it isnt as rust free as i first thought....

Seems the previous owner liked to ford deep water then leave it in floorpans to rot from inside out.....

306351_292930917407654_201322479901832_1009545_420918746_n.jpg

Luckily it is confined to the front floorpans,rears and everywhere else is solid.

Today saw the removal of the windscreen.....

IMAG0117-1.jpg

And the knackered old dash

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

Note ignition switch now in rightful place ;D

Just waiting to have the welding finished before I refit it all so had a play about...

With

IMAG0121-1.jpg

Without

IMAG0122-1.jpg

IMAG0124-1.jpg

I like it more without it,wanted to trial fit my JDM fender mirrors but cant find the bloody things anywhere....... ::)

Bit more progress todays,i now haz floor on one sides ;D

IMAG0125-1.jpg

sparky sparky....

IMAG0127.jpg

Mr grunty....

IMAG0128-1.jpg

IMAG0129-1.jpg

IMAG0131-1.jpg

IMAG0130-1.jpg

Still welding when it got dark....

IMAG0126.jpg

I also waxoyled down in the front scuttle whilst ive got the dashout as it was looking dubious down there....