Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear window defroster 2003 outback wagon

I have a 2003 outback wagon and the rear window defroster doesn’t work at all. I have replaced the fuse, it didn’t look bad but replaced it anyway. When your push the switch on the dash the little light comes on but I don’t hear any click from the relay I’ve read about here on the forum. I also have a 1999 outback wagon ( defroster works fine) and when I push the switch on this car I do hear a relay click.

If the relay is bad will the little light still come on and where is the relay located on the 2003? I have read about the relay location on several other years but not sure it is in the same place on this one. Once the relay is out is there a way to bench test it?

thanks

Go here http://www.bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=174&sid=3d7058f0853dfdc05b1f1a871bb51c9d.

go to wiring section and you'll have schematics of the system.

Should be in repair section how to check wiring for continuity etc.

It's the same for all defoggers. Do a search, may come up that way.

You will have to pull the driver's side passenger molding off ( just pop its) to check the tabs and connections.

If the wires in the window or the tab are bad, there is a repair kit at the auto stores.

Check proper relay operation first.

O.

• 6 years later...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165080-2005-outback-rear-window-defroster-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=1371248

check out the above post about faulty wiring to rear defroster. Many of us have problems with the wiring as it goes from the body through a rubber boot to the rear hatch. The above post has links and descriptions on how to access the area for repair.

Edited by brus brother